• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

540 motor on GEN8?

ruralcrawler

I'm building a couple GEN8-PACK kits for myself and my son. As everyone has likely noticed, inventory is light across the board in the hobby industry.

Has anyone ran a 540 sized motor on the GEN8 before? I picked up a couple Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Sport 13T 540 motors as they have been sold out on the 550s for a while now. I didn't figure it was a big deal, but when I reached out to them for a recommendation on what pinion gear to run they instructed me that I shouldn't run the 540s on the GEN8 because of the extra load from the portal axles and should exchange them for some 550s (which are out of stock).

I wanted 550s to start, but lack of inventory caused me to compromise. I welcome feedback on this and appreciate any help in advance.

Thanks everyone!

I'm running a 540 45t in my wife's Gen8, and I do have it geared down to about 5 mph top speed (walking speed).
It works fine, and IMO, crawls great!

It may work okay so long as it doesn't have tons of weight added and so long as you aren't flogging it with lots of wheelspeed and hillclimbs. If you're just putting around and crawling (slow) it should work okay.

I will say once its in stock the HH 550 12T makes for an awesome combo in the gen 8.
I'm waiting on that motor at the moment.

The Gen 8 AXE unit comes stock with the Brushless 540 AXE motor/esc from Hobbywing. Its not the fastest rig even on 3s. But it's faster than I can trot at 54 yrs old. lol

A brushed 540 will probably be a bit light duty, but if you have it geared down some, it should do decent for your needs.

so far my 540 motor is working just fine.

I ran an integy 540 35t lathe motor from my OG crawler in the Gen 8 until my HH 550 21t trailmaster showed up. It seemed to work just fine and had great granular motion for crawling.

I say if it works and meets your needs then use it. Also if the temps of the motor are in check I don't see an issue.

I been running a Castle Creations 2850 Slate motor and it's 540 sized. Works great. Running on 3s with a 12 tooth pinion but just switched to a 12 tooth pinion but didn't run it yet with the 12.

Back