• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

2012 Sportsman Shafty Overhaul!

alexchen86

I wanna be Dave
Well it has surely been a long way since I first built up my AX10. I had the first generation with the phillips hardware too lol (which is why not all the screws are hexes!).

Running Gear:
Spektrum DX3s using a 3 channel micro RX
O.G. Sidewinder on 3s w/CC BEC
HH Torque Master 35T Geared at 20/87
Robinson Geared Axial Tranny and Robinson Solid Steel Output
MIP Center Drive Lines
Vanquish Incision Pro Chassis for Axial Rigs
Axial Aluminum Clocked C Hubs
Vanquish Zero Ackerman High Steer Knuckles
Gunnar Body Mounts
Axial CVD's w/Gunnar Pins on Front Axle
Losi 4" Shocks Golds Up Front Yellows in the Rear all 50wt
Custom 4 Link Plate up Front w/Flipped 7955TG @ 6.0V and 3s Pack 40-50C
Custom Bent Servo Horn to Clear Springs During Turning
Stock Axial Aluminum Lower Links Up Front
Custom Bent Delrin High Clearance Lowers in the Back w/Revo Rod Ends
Rowdy Racing Servo Armor
Custom BTA Steering Tie Rod (Forgot Who Makes it)
UGC D Mount 4 Link Rear Custom Uppers (Thanks 4xFord for the help!)
OD HD Bevel Gears on Front Axle
UD HD Bevel Gears on Rear Axle
STRC Rear Lock Outs with Stainless Steel Axle Shafts
2.2 DNA Thrashers
(Front Wheels ~4 oz per wheel including weights/tire/wheels/foam)
(Rear Wheels ~1 oz per wheel including tire/wheels/foam)
Crawler Innovations 5.5T DD Foams
Siped White Dot Rovers
Track width front/rear: 10" (I'd like the chassis to be narrower and also my front track to be wider)

Now I just recently got a Futaba 4PL and I am going to bind it over to my sportsman shafty when Futaba's micro RX gets in.

Everyone in my club runs MOA's but I just don't have the time anymore to compete so I think I'll just stick to my shafty but at least try to hang with them. There were several courses that I couldn't finish but the MOA rigs seemed to be able to handle them a bit easier.

So basically to be somewhat more competitive I should look into Vanquish wheels/Vanquish 8* Hubs/8* Vanquish knuckle weights/Vanquish 8* knuckles and get a Hurtz dig??

Or I was thinking getting a set of 300's, a new chassis (leaning towards BWD), then do the XR mod on the Axial front end...possibly throw on a Hurtz dig?

For all that money wouldn't it make more sense to just get an MOA lol!

Here's my setup:
IMAG0111.jpg

IMAG0112.jpg

IMAG0113.jpg

IMAG0114.jpg

IMAG0115.jpg

IMAG0116.jpg

IMAG0117.jpg

IMAG0118.jpg

Last edited:
So basically to be somewhat more competitive I should look into Vanquish wheels/Vanquish 8* Hubs/8* Vanquish knuckle weights/Vanquish 8* knuckles and get a Hurtz dig??

That sounds like a good plan.....just remember not to use dig in the sportsman class."thumbsup"

Yup that's what I meant to write. Basically front wheels are around 4 oz each including all hardware/tires/foams. Rears are unweighted but are a bit over 1 oz each including all hardware/tires/foams. I'm trying to put this rig on a diet and would prefer a lighter rig. I feel it's just too heavy! I think I rather have a more lightweight rig that's more nimble with more steering.

I think the best way to do that is to go with the VP 8* knuckles/hubs remove all that internal weight up front and throw on knuckle weights with the XR mod. Then possibly look at a lighter weight chassis?

Ok finally got my rig back together. Revamped some shock angles to get a slight raise in the rear. Swapped to Losi yellows. Rebuilt all 4 shocks. Regreased tranny gears, HD OD/UD gears in both diffs, regreased CVD pins, and regreased the MIP/Junfac drive lines. Replaced the stock spur to a new one and also dropped the pinion down to 14t Robinson steel.

Tried to mirror the tranny but the VP chassis has an upper bar on the other side which prevents the motor from hanging off so that plan was scrapped. I'm having issues with the tires rubbing against the front springs since I'm running BTA with the Jones'N tie rod and Axial CVD's with Gunnar pins I am getting some decent steering but I want more.

I wish I could inboard the front shocks but I don't see a way I can do that if I run BTA. Anyone have more ideas? I'm awaiting the XR universals to get in to do the XR mod as well...

Pics:
IMAG0221.jpg

IMAG0222.jpg

IMAG0224.jpg

IMAG0225.jpg

IMAG0223.jpg

That doesn't look like too bad of a steering angle. The xr10 mod is the best ever though. It will be the answer to more steering.

Tried to mirror the tranny but the VP chassis has an upper bar on the other side which prevents the motor from hanging off so that plan was scrapped.
man thats a sweet rig...if im not mistaking all your doing is turing the chassis around and flipping the skid around...thats how i mirrored the tranny on my bender swx!"thumbsup"

Last edited:
Go back and mirror the tranny. Just rotate your skid plate 180 so the motor hangs out the same side it does now.
You will be happy you did.

JC
8)

Lol...I feel like a noob here sorta lost. If I flip the skid 180 won't the whole motor/tranny be reversed as well leaving the motor to hang off the other side which is blocked?

I could drill new holes into the current skid and flip the tranny. I think that's the only way as the skid only allows the tranny to be mounted in forward configuration.

Or maybe I'm just thinking too much...might have to look at how my Honcho is setup as those run mirrored Axial tranny's stock.

Anyone have ideas on how to inboard the front shocks without the Jones'N tie rod hitting the springs?

Thanks!

Lol...I feel like a noob here sorta lost. If I flip the skid 180 won't the whole motor/tranny be reversed as well leaving the motor to hang off the other side which is blocked?

I could drill new holes into the current skid and flip the tranny. I think that's the only way as the skid only allows the tranny to be mounted in forward configuration.

Or maybe I'm just thinking too much...might have to look at how my Honcho is setup as those run mirrored Axial tranny's stock.

Anyone have ideas on how to inboard the front shocks without the Jones'N tie rod hitting the springs?

Thanks!
theres no drilling new holes in the process...all your doing is instead of having your spur gear pointing to the front of the chassis your moving it to make it point in the rear of that chassis...and for the motor instead of hanging on the passanger rear its going to move to the passanger front...heres the link to help you out "thumbsup" http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/110323-mirror-imaged-transmission.html

Thanks for that link I've seen it before I'll try it out this afternoon and post pics if I get lost lol. A simple mod that should take 10 min but for me and my smart ass might take an hour lol!

Back