• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

1/10 Faux-Functional 1980 Toyota 22R Engine - Janky's Finished Build!

bump3.jpg

Thread Bump. The Bison gets it.^

Janks's first video is up! Watch it here!
https://youtu.be/1FvMZs3btv4

Or here.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/videos/537718-1-10-faux-functional-1980-toyota-22r-engine-jankys-finished-build.html#post5240628

Or don't watch it at all. Either way watch it. Or don't. But do. Whatever. I don't care. Where am I again?

Last edited:
Bumpy bumpy.

Latest video of Janks. Been sitting on this for a month but only just now got around to making it live.

Be forewarned it's long. Almost a film piece. IF you want to watch some yahoo bashing their Axial with a 4s than move along, otherwise enjoy. :mrgreen:

https://youtu.be/uUDY3PTRuFo

...really enjoyed the last clip 8)

I'm a big fan of scale realism...
and rigs that actually roll at crawling speed.
Yours was an exception to what I normally see "thumbsup"

The engine/bay looks cool... as well most of your rig.

I suppose I could leave it at that...
...offering my positive support and stfu...

but along with my accolades
I just have to include a little bit of criticism.

The orange lockouts seem somewhat outta place
and draw too much attention. (jmo)

but even more odd looking...
is the thickness of the steering/drag link rods.

I know there's not a whole lot of other options out there
But it kinda takes away from the scale realism for me.

I used a thinner S link, up front, on my Honcho...
Originally designed to fit the Gelande II I think it was...
Unfortunately... I have not replaced the drag link
with a thinner link rod... yet.
But I intend to... if I can find one that will work.

again... jmo
so don't become distraught by my drivel.

you did a great job regardless of my construct. "thumbsup"

...really enjoyed the last clip 8)

But I intend to... if I can find one that will work.

The tie rod and drag link on my 1:1 Jeep are 1 3/4" which scales out pretty close to 3/16. Of course my Jeep is a little removed from stock. I believe the stock units were closer to 1/2".

To the OP, you are now corrupting my build plans and making me consider something similar. I really need to stay off these damn forums. My life would be so much simpler.

The orange lockouts seem somewhat outta place
and draw too much attention. (jmo)

But I intend to... if I can find one that will work."thumbsup"

This^. Darn good post and yes I agree 100% on all accounts. I should note that when I added those Boom Racing aluminum bits it was before I got really, really serious with this truck. Unfortunately they are staying on due to laziness, not interested in removing them and putting on something else. I may go cheap and just paint the steering link to dull it down. I would consider my truck to be "cartoon realism," in the sense that it will never compete with those that get truly scale but will instead opt for some interesting key elements to make it unique, in this case the custom one-off frame, engine, body, etc.

Honestly, this truck will either be sitting for many years in a class case in my living room or be sold here very soon to someone who will appreciate it, either way chances are good I won't do much to it. It's a good show truck and very filmable but doesn't really hold it's own against Axials and the like due to extremely high CG and therefore won't be driven much.

To the OP, you are now corrupting my build plans and making me consider something similar. I really need to stay off these damn forums. My life would be so much simpler.

This is both a compliment and a tremendous hypothetical burden on the proverbial shoulders.

Sadly, I will never be able to compete with even half the people on here. There is no way I will have access to a massive garage of my own (for many, many years,) and all the tooling and skills required to even begin to create the type of artistry that this forum houses. And no, I don't believe what I have done is artistry, although it is closer than it has ever been for me to achieve such a title.

This place goes beyond RC. It's functional modeling is what it is. This place houses the cool kids, still too young and restless for model railroading, shipbuilding, and some forms of painting; The quiet artistry that follows in the quieter times. Not that there is anything lesser about those hobbies... it's that attention to detail that has transcended to this realm. Technology, and specialized tooling becoming more mainstream allows many people today to get even more detail oriented than ever before. Can you draw CAD? BestBuy sells 3D printers now for all your scaleism needs, just like Topshelf Hobby is famous for. Arduino is just one of many pieces of hardware bringing endless computing capabilities to the mainstream hobbies. LED's are getting smaller and brighter. There will come a day when 1:10 scale RC crawlers will have working tachometer gauges and heated pretend seats, real FM radio's bumping out of licensed Bose 1/10 door speakers... complete with a 1/10 equivalent of a 12" sub (or 3.048cm to be exact.)

It can be exciting, and discouraging at the same time. There will never be a person that is truly is better than anyone else in regards to what he/she can create or build here. Given the tooling, money, time, and work area, all things being equal you would see some truly amazing stuff come out from those with less means. I promise if this were the case my truck would be a joke to what I could create with the idea's knocking about it my cobweb-adorned dome.

In other words, don't worry about it. Do your thing and whatever makes you happy. I think you might be surprised to know that I have had more fun with a box-stock Axial on a bad day than this current rig on it's best day. The deeper you go, the further from the roots you get...;-)

Last edited:
Back