Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Old 05-18-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
ridgewalker
Rock Stacker

Default Wheely King Motor Winding By Hand

Well I have been searching and wondering how?Well i dug up an old thread started by johnrobholmes and after reading the whole thread i decided to try and wind my own.So i tore apart my Wheely King motor, the saturn 27 it came with.I know this may not be the best motor to try this on since it is not designed to be taken apart but it is the only spare that i could aford to ruin.After using a screwdriver to push back the tang's that hold the end cap on (the part that the motor lead's and the brushes are attached to)I carefully removed the end cap being sure not to ruin the brushes.then i removed the armiture noting the location of all the washer's for correct reassembilly.I pryed back the three tang's that are on the comm.Then i began unwinding the stator winds,there was some epoxy on the wires that i thought would pose a problem but a quick hit of a flame from one of those jet lighters softened the epoxy enough to pull the wire through it.After unwinding all the wire i streched across my liv rm and kitchen and use some of my wife's clear finger nail polish to cover the bare spots that use to be in those tangs on the com.I was planning on reusing the same wire to wind it so i had to cover those bare spots so there would be no shorts and i see that enamel coted wire is what can be used to wind so it seemed like a good plan.I rewound the motor to a 15 turn and had about four feet of wire to cut off when i was done.I put it all back together put the motor in my wheely king and WOW what an improvement much faster.This was so easy thanks to johnrobholmes I will be buying 20.00 motors to wind my self from now on I wonder if the saturn arm. would fit in a venom 17t can?If any body wants to try this for them selves with the stock wheely king motor you could probably wind yourself a strong crawler motor or take off some wire to speed it up oh ya the nail polish i used to cover the bare spots worked out great. I wound a faster motor for FREE and that works for me for the first try. anyone else done this?Try it
ridgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2007, 07:30 PM   #2
beasty

no matter how much i hate periods... they are good in the forum. just a fyi. glad the motor work did some good for you.
beasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
Cloak
I wanna be Dave

WALL
OF
TEXT!
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:42 PM   #4
f150dan
Quarry Creeper

I've been wanting to try that, but I didn't really know the right technique on re-winding the motor. Do you have a link to that thread you were talking about?
f150dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:47 PM   #5
Reflection
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by f150dan View Post
I've been wanting to try that, but I didn't really know the right technique on re-winding the motor. Do you have a link to that thread you were talking about?
It's SUPER easy. I can wind one in a few minutes. If you got a motor to use,bring it to the next comp and I'll show you.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:17 AM   #6
JohnRobHolmes
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Yep, pretty easy task. How is that motor I wound for you doing raptor?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:25 AM   #7
Reflection
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes View Post
Yep, pretty easy task. How is that motor I wound for you doing raptor?

Pretty slick looking,I'll say that. Can't wait to test it. I'm waiting on my tranny to get here for my 2.2 Hustler. I've got everything I need to make it runable,just need a tranny. Won't have my choice of ESC,reciever and battery at first,but it'll be able to run enough to dial things in.

Last edited by Reflection; 05-19-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 04:50 PM   #8
ridgewalker
Rock Stacker

http://rccrawler.com/forum/showthrea...=motor+winding here is a link to the thread read all five pages and start winding!
ridgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote