Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Old 01-23-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
Crawlin4fun
Quarry Creeper

Default 1:1 Hilux Build

This is where all my time and money have been going lately. its a 1980 yota pickup with the following:

22r and a 5 speed
Marlin crawler dual cases w/ 23 spline input
Marlin crawler suspension system
Hi-steer w/ IFS Box
5:29 gears and lockers front and rear
35" Goodyear wrangler MT/R's ( now it's on 37's )
etc. etc. etc.

Plans include a truggy style tube bed, custom dash w/ All Autometer Guages, Painless wiring harness, onboard air, Longfield axle shafts and 37's ( Done ) . Plus tons more that I probably haven't thought of yet.

The truck came from AZ and there is only one spot in the floor that needs patched, other than that there is absolutely no rust or body filler in the cab !!!!!

I picked it up as an unfinished project from 4stair and tore it down to the frame and started over. Metal Masher did most of the suspension and steering mods before I got it.

I have the suspension and drivetrain pretty much done with the exception of the driveshafts. The cab has just been stripped and painted, still a ton left to do by spring so I can compete in the RCROCS Crawling series at Rausch creek offroad park.

Last edited by Crawlin4fun; 02-28-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Crawlin4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
PEDEcrawlerguy
Rock Crawler

Dude... that is awesome styrene work on the back of the cab... how did you get all that detail in there?

yes... i know its a 1:1
PEDEcrawlerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
Crawlin4fun
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDEcrawlerguy View Post
Dude... that is awesome styrene work on the back of the cab... how did you get all that detail in there?

yes... i know its a 1:1

Patience
Old 01-23-2009, 08:35 PM   #4
LumTheMad
Hell's Gnome

Any chance you would want to trade your 35" MTRs for 37" MTRs? Better than half tread left. I have 5 of them, one never even on the ground. I want to down size. Send me a PM if your interested. I'm im Hamburg.
LumTheMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
Crawlin4fun
Quarry Creeper

Here are a few shot's with the 37's I got from LumTheMad By the way, Nice Jeep you got Lum

I plan on going to Team York Racing this week and bending up my tube bed

Last edited by Crawlin4fun; 02-02-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
Hillcrawler
Quarry Creeper

Looks good, i've always liked a nice clean yota.
Hillcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
Mr.Slave
Quarry Creeper

why 23 spline? is it turbo?
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
slicknic
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Slave View Post
why 23 spline? is it turbo?
23 spline on the back case is alot stronger. Nice first gen!
slicknic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #9
CarterFab
Metal shaper

nice work man. i was running the dual crawler case in mine but also had the twin stick. if you can get it, do it. it makes all the difference for serious crawling. hope you got the bigger longfields, 30 spline, you wont regret it. i was running 42's and 425 hp at the wheels and they hung out no problem. i know its not recomended by bobby but his chart shows them @ being stronger than the d60 35 spline and i can prove it. i ran those same 37s when i first buit my truck and loved them. just had to go bigger for the huge undercuts we drive on. ultimate adventure past threw here a couple of years ago and they had trouble on some of our easy trails. any ways nice truck, make me miss mine. also, your rear shackles are pointing staight down right now, i know you dont have the tube work on there so maybe they will lay down some. if they dont, i would move that mount forward about 2" to get a better ride and range of motion.

oops.
CarterFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:48 PM   #10
usa1man
Rock Crawler

i like the looks of those 37's nice trucks
usa1man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:48 PM   #11
dieselfuel
I wanna be Dave

nice clean yota man! i had an 81 longbed on 33" MT/Rs for a few yrs, theyre fun trucks.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:27 AM   #12
Karadjas
Quarry Creeper

It says a lot about the scale builders on here that I had to stare at that first pic for a good few seconds before I went 'that has to be 1:1, I've never seen those axles before'

Karadjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #13
Crawlin4fun
Quarry Creeper

nice work man. i was running the dual crawler case in mine but also had the twin stick. if you can get it, do it. it makes all the difference for serious crawling. hope you got the bigger longfields, 30 spline, you wont regret it. i was running 42's and 425 hp at the wheels and they hung out no problem. i know its not recomended by bobby but his chart shows them @ being stronger than the d60 35 spline and i can prove it. i ran those same 37s when i first buit my truck and loved them. just had to go bigger for the huge undercuts we drive on. ultimate adventure past threw here a couple of years ago and they had trouble on some of our easy trails. any ways nice truck, make me miss mine. also, your rear shackles are pointing staight down right now, i know you dont have the tube work on there so maybe they will lay down some. if they dont, i would move that mount forward about 2" to get a better ride and range of motion.

I am planning on the 30 spline longs and chromo hubs, its good to know what you have put them through that way I know my 22r will never break them. I thought the twin stick was just for 2-low.....I have that with the dual case set-up. as far as the shackle mounts they were farther forward and had to be moved back so they didn't flop back on the frame and stick while it was flexed, hopefully once the springs break in and some weight is on there they will gain more angle.

Sweet rigs by the way.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:37 PM   #14
CarterFab
Metal shaper

with the twin stick you get 2 lo-lo. with regular case there is 2 hi, 4 hi, 4 lo. with dual case there is 2 hi, 2 lo, 4 hi, 4 lo, 4 lo-lo. with the added twin stick you get 2 hi, 2 lo, 2 lo-lo, 4 hi, 4 lo, 4 lo-lo. it is really handy for tight turns when you are locked up and need to keep the gearing as low as possible and when you are transitioning between trails you cna just slap it up into 2wd without stopping and right back to 4wd when needed. i also used it so that my 5 year old son could drive it around the pasture with out me in it. it was slower than his power wheels. and its got the cool factor.

CarterFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #15
Crawlin4fun
Quarry Creeper

I see how 2 lo-lo could be useful. I am going to the marlin crawler site right now to check out the twin stick kit
Old 02-04-2009, 06:57 PM   #16
John Deere
Rock Crawler

I have a marlin crawler twin stick in my yota not done that nice but man its great. Nothing like having that many forward gears. Great looking yota also I will have to post pics of my 80
John Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #17
axman2010
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karadjas View Post
It says a lot about the scale builders on here that I had to stare at that first pic for a good few seconds before I went 'that has to be 1:1, I've never seen those axles before'

RC4WD makes those axles lol. After I read your post I went back to look again, I can see what ya mean lol
axman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:51 AM   #18
kyrel69

nice build up
kyrel69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:58 PM   #19
Crawlin4fun
Quarry Creeper

I will have some pics of the tube bed up in a few days
Old 02-27-2009, 01:26 PM   #20
Crawlin4fun
Quarry Creeper

Made some progress on the tube bed / rock sliders.....not finished yet but getting there