Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Old 03-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
xgerstandtx
RCC Addict

Default 15.5" WK project*****updated*****

Hey guys, Thought i would post some pictures of my newest project. On a budget.
This thing started life as a no electronics version of the WK.
First thing i did was add 4ws to it in stock form
It was a riot I had a 27t fantom team edition motor,rooster crawler esc and it propped wheelys all over in forward and reverse. It was a good time to really get used to the 4ws also.
Than i got the itch to do a little modifying with the parts i had around the house. This is what I came up with.

In this photo it has 15.5 inch wheel base relocated shocks, flipped chassis, 4ws, Stock gearing with 35t lathe motor, locked diffs (caglue and jbweld).

here is a picture of the steering setup. I used 8/32 rod and revo rod ends. The template i got off of the sticky at the top of the page

This is how i did my drive shafts they are two stampede female shafts with 1 male shaft glued in one side. Yokes are the stock axial yokes drilled for 6mm and using the WK set screws. I told you this was a budget build. And to date with lots of running no drive shaft issues yet

Here you can see how i mounted my upper links. I tried just extending the Y but it did not locate the axle how i wanted it. Way to flexy. I took TLT link mounts and mounted them on the axle. THen to really get good triangulation i used alum spacers to put the link mounts on the outside of the chassis. It seems to be high enough to not get in the way.

This is how i mounted my shocks.

This build is almost complete. I ordered a set of 2.2 rock crushers that i will be mounting on axial beadlocks. Hopefully later today. I can snap some shots today of it crawling also.

Last edited by xgerstandtx; 03-07-2008 at 06:30 PM.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
HeatFire

How did you do the.. eeh top 2 links fastenings on the axle..
my english is not good enough... and to think my grades where good hehe..
HeatFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
bigblazerboy
Rock Crawler

i think you should have used some maxx shafts. they are bigger and longer.i had to cut them down for my build.
bigblazerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
xgerstandtx
RCC Addict

The upper links are mounted to the axle with Tamiya TLT axle link kit

bigblazerboy-i have totally thought about doing the maxx shafts and probably will but this was a budget build with parts i had around. The stampede shafts seem to be holding well till this point. We are heading to palmer park in co. springs so that will be a good test.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:25 AM   #5
dacaur
Quarry Creeper

looks cool. Why did you decide on 15.5" WB? I probably wont ever compete, but I stuck with a 12.5" WB just to stay within the 2.2 rules because that makes it more fun for me, more of a challenge than a longer WB. What size tires did you go with? if you are going longer WB, its probably a good idea to go with 40 series tires anyway to get better ground clearance so you arent always dragging your belly... Another plus of the 12-12.5" WB is that its easy to find 1/10th body's to match it (most T-maxx bodies have a 12-12.5" wheelbase) . A 1/8th body would match your wheelbase, but it would be too wide....

also, I think you have the wrong pic on the upper link mount spot... im interested to see this one...
dacaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #6
chrisjlittle
RCC Addict

I went crawling with matt today and this thing is a riot! I haven't had so much fun with a RC car in a long time. It's geared way too high, it's top heavy, it's not the least bit comp worthy, the tires flat suck, etc...But I don't care, I want one just like it. The thing that really surprised me about it was that there is very little torque twist. I'm pretty much baffled by this fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
looks cool. Why did you decide on 15.5" WB? I probably wont ever compete, but I stuck with a 12.5" WB just to stay within the 2.2 rules because that makes it more fun for me, more of a challenge than a longer WB. What size tires did you go with? if you are going longer WB, its probably a good idea to go with 40 series tires anyway to get better ground clearance so you arent always dragging your belly... Another plus of the 12-12.5" WB is that its easy to find 1/10th body's to match it (most T-maxx bodies have a 12-12.5" wheelbase) . A 1/8th body would match your wheelbase, but it would be too wide....

also, I think you have the wrong pic on the upper link mount spot... im interested to see this one...

I think this thing is basically a basher. He already has a AX-10 comp rig that works very very well. I also doubt this thing would hold up to 40 series tires. I admit I too was skeptical about the idea, but this thing is just too much fun for words. I think he should enter it in a comp, just so I can make fun of him for placing last.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #7
rockeater
Quarry Creeper

right on man sounds like a good time. For me thats what rc is about.....

I like the long wheelbase. Im heading to 14- 15

Go long or go home lol
rockeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:03 AM   #8
dacaur
Quarry Creeper

Yea a big part of torque twist is link geometry... with the 4 link setup and the uppers outside the body he might have hit a sweet spot... as for the 40 series tires... they are really only a inch or so bigger than the stock tires, but any 2.2 tires he puts on there will be smaller than stock...
dacaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:55 AM   #9
chrisjlittle
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
Yea a big part of torque twist is link geometry... with the 4 link setup and the uppers outside the body he might have hit a sweet spot... as for the 40 series tires... they are really only a inch or so bigger than the stock tires, but any 2.2 tires he puts on there will be smaller than stock...
He's got some rock crushers on order, they should be in in shortly, they're at least as tall. I'm trying to convince him to go for some lizzard claws or maxx sized tires, I think that would work out well.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:37 AM   #10
Locked Up
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
I went crawling with matt today and this thing is a riot! I haven't had so much fun with a RC car in a long time. It's geared way too high, it's top heavy, it's not the least bit comp worthy, the tires flat suck, etc...But I don't care, I want one just like it.
And this is why I love my H3 WK and it's 15.75" WB
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #11
xgerstandtx
RCC Addict

Updated pictures some crawling photos from last weekend at palmer park in colorado springs.

As it was stated above some lizard claws would do wonders for this vehicle. So i started cutting up my old tires and getting a good start. This is a compare photo of the krushers compared to lizard claws.

So i ended up mounting the Krushers on some axial beadlocks i had around. I weighted them with about 6oz in each front and 3oz in rear.

So than i had a bad betty sitting around that painted

In the last few photos i limited the travel of the shocks with about a 3/8 piece of fuel tubing. I only limited travel on the outside so i can keep a good ride. height.

I thought i would at least post some pics of the progress.