• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Zenith’s stupid Toyota

Hey guys. I’m new here to the forums, and mostly new to rc in general. My previous experience with rc is the Ratshack Xmods, and a few issues of RC Driver. And the Winter 2009 issue of RC Crawler.

Anyhow, more to the point, I just thought I’d post up my project and ask a few questions.

My mini rig is a Hobby Plus CR-18. Not the greatest, but affordable and capable enough. Picked the white LC80 because I like Toyotas, and Sooty from Australia 4wd (Now rebranded as 4wd 24-7).

It didn’t leave me impressed, but it’s still fun.

First mod was an RGT 64t spur, which didn’t fit under the gear cover. I had to slot the motor mount screw holes to get it to place nice with the motor.

Also added the HP aluminum driveshafts. The rear one broke in about a month of driving. The U-joint was some weird multi-piece setup and the pin slipped out at the river. I just went back to the plastic one for the time being.

Next thing I got was a Nikko FJ Cruiser body that is about 1/16 scale. I managed to mount the body using the rock rails and magnets. I had to stretch the wheelbase about 1/4 inch, and used a tutorial I found here to make my own links

A problem I’m having is a damaged transmission gear; the middle gear got a bit chewed up from terrible gear mesh. I’m not sure if it’s just crummy tolerances or if the change to the 64t spur was beyond torque capacity (doubt it). I’m entertaining the thought of a transmission swap. I’m considering either a RC4wd R5v2 or an Axial SCX24 transmission.

Future plans are RC4wd metal axles, deeper offset wheels, and to mount up the led lights.

Sorry about the huge post. But at least it has pictures.

What about the Barrage tranny? I wonder if thats too big?
I have a feeling the SCX24 tranny is likely smaller and not as durable as what the CR 18 has stock. But I have not actually compared them.

What about the Barrage tranny? I wonder if thats too big?
I have a feeling the SCX24 tranny is likely smaller and not as durable as what the CR 18 has stock. But I have not actually compared them.

I was under the assumption that the Barrage transmission internals were the same as the CR-18. Don’t know why I would assume that actually. One of the reasons I am considering the SCX24 trans is the assortment of parts available, such as the HR case and GameyRC’s many motor conversion parts. That mini brushless outrunner setup looks cool.

At least I got lights in it now.

Back