• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Winch Servo Controller?

Fallen

Rock Crawler
Subscribed Member
Anyone ever control a winch servo using one of those wireless winch controllers?

I ask because there is a problem I'm trying to solve. The problem is I don't want to spend the money on a new 4 or 5 channel RX / TX.

But I've started to want a winch in my Bronco, and the 10.3 has a great spot for mounting a servo winch. Also, the stock bumper doesn't have room for a scale winch. I want to keep the stock bumper and not buy a new radio.

So is it doable to control a winch servo with one of those wireless winch controllers? Or is this problem better solved by just ponying up the money for a proper RX / TX? I'm not interested in reinventing the wheel here, but I don't want to miss an easy solution.

Don't bother with a electric winch, just run a dynamic winch. In our local comps everyone runs one. They're much faster and not as complicated. Just get some bungee cord and a big treble hook, all you need to do is hold the front end down. If you want to do a electric winch cheap just get a continuous rotation servo and a Fly Sky GT5 and run it off of channel 5-6.

I second the kinetic winch all my electric winches need work to keep them going for what ever reason the kinetic winches always work
Dms makes a nice set up
Personally i bought 10ft of 1/8" extra streach paracord then i take some 1/4 plastic tubing an loop it inside the chassie and the para cord goes inside the tubing it keeps it out of the way of other stuff
I like the tubing better than the pullies that dms uses but thats just me lol

Im going this route on my new builds like dusty sead most of the time your just keeping the front end to the rocks

Last edited:
You wanting one just to play around with or for competition? For messing around, kinetics are fine. They're fast and reliable, especially if you're just trying to winch uphill using natural terrain. For competitive use, a servo winch is still best. They allow you to winch from the top or rear of the truck (if you have something to direct the line), which can be really helpful in certain situations. Also, I think SORRCA has imposed penalties for the kinetic winches if your group follows those rules.

My only experience with a separate winch controller was RC4WD and that thing was garbage. HeyOK does or at least used to make a wireless controller. His stuff has a good reputation.

Thanks. Unfortunately, the kinetic stuff is mostly out of stock currently.

And I'm just playing around with my trucks, no competition in sight. The goal is to make a trail truck (Early Bronco) climb rock crawler lines, which I occasionally encounter.

I have found a wireless HeyOk setup that will control a servo winch. The cost of that plus the servo is my current hangup. If I'm going to add an electric winch, it just going to cost me around $200 whether I buy a new radio or not.

The cost on the kinetics is about 1/4 or less of that. But for those, I just have to wait until they're in stock again. I don't really want to bother with trying to make my own just yet...

Edit: per HeyOk's link, now I see he has a controller / servo setup for about $80. That seems like a viable option.

Last edited:
Thanks...

Edit: per HeyOk's link, now I see he has a controller / servo setup for about $80. That seems like a viable option.

You will pay more for Al's equipment (HeyOK), but it is money well spent. His electronics are very well made, easy to use, and very relaible. Plus, he is easy to get in touch with if you have questions. "thumbsup"

Kinetic rope is made from paracord.

Nothing wrong with electrci winches, don't listen to these guys. Kinetic rope works but limited reach. The comp guys on man made courses can rely on them but I watch pro level comp guys that have electric winches. Reason is, they can reach alot further leaving a ton more options open when you need to get through something, pull your rear end over to clear a line without hitting or falling off something. Both have their placr.

The remote winch controller works just fine but gotta take care with the remote. Not the most "reliable" set up over running it via your transmitter but it works.

Electric winchs having "issues" are user error. I have 2 rcwd scale warn winchs and 2 nsdrc servo winches. Never a SINGLE issue with either one. My 1st rc4wd warn winch has been to hell and back without a single issue. The scale winches aren't great for comps, their a bit slow (though running direct wired to the 3s battery makes a big difference but I only advise that with actual rc4wd winches). Nsdrc servo winches are freaking nuts! Fast and stupid amounts of power when direct wired.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Back