• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Winch Controller for Radio with 2 Position Third Channel

heyok

I wanna be Dave
Winch Controller for Radio with 2 Position Third Channel - Part no. 2PW

What do you do if you want to run a winch but your transmitter only has a two position third channel?

My new winch controller makes this easy. Just attach it to your servo winch motor or to your 3racing winch and you will be able to work it from your third channel. Each time you press and release the switch on CH3, the winch does the next thing in sequence.
  1. Winch is stopped
  2. Winch winds out
  3. Winch is stopped
  4. Winch winds in
  5. Winch is stopped
etc.

PjWxBpp.png

Note that this controller has the optional JST connector which adds $2 to the price.

Here is a very short video showing the circuit controlling a winch plugged into a Traxxas TQ3 transmitter which comes with a two position third channel:
Winch Controller for two position channel transmitter - YouTube

This winch controller installs the same way as my winch controller circuit that works with a three position channel:
No Drift Winch Controller! (using 3 position transmitter channel) - RCCrawler

Winch Controller for Radio with 2 Position Third Channel
Part no. 2PW $30
Need a JST connector included? Order Part No. 3PWJST for $32

* Note that the maximum voltage is 6 volts *

Need to make a servo winch?
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/421321-another-servo-winch-building-tutorial.html

Last edited:
Hey, all. I got one of these from heyok and its on this Ford in this video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=emDmFPvcF7U

The main notable thing... why you need one of these... this controller is small but must let through twice the amps of the stock 3racing one, because using this one the stock 3racing winch on this Ford has NO PROBLEMS dragging this truck up a sheer cliff, as you can see in this video.
This controller has tons of power and I've been abusing it for a couple of years. Can't believe it's this cheap!!
Best thing I ever installed in my Ford.

sure...and I just ordered a new radio just for this reason...

cool product and nice vid...might be picking one of these up for the wifes rig.

sure...and I just ordered a new radio just for this reason...

cool product and nice vid...might be picking one of these up for the wifes rig.
Thanks.
That's too bad it is too late for your rig.

Glad it might help with your wife's transmitter though!

I just purchased one of these 2pos 3rd channel winch controllers. And I works very well with my dx3s. Heyok has fantastic customer service also.

It was pointed out to me that I don't have a close up picture of the winch controller in this thread.
This is what it looks like:

DSC_4548.jpg

DSC_4547.jpg

It plugs into your receiver and the grey wires solder onto the servo motor or can be connected to a 3racing winch in place of the factory controller.

DSCN0646.jpg

If you are installing it on a servo winch, you can tuck the new electronics inside the servo case.

DSC_1870.jpg

The circuit at the bottom of the picture is the original servo amplifier that was removed. There is no longer a connection to the pot as it isn't used any longer.

Does it mater which gray wire is hooked up to the black or red wire?????:lmao:

Does it mater which gray wire is hooked up to the black or red wire?????:lmao:

Well, kind of. The controller will want to send the winch in the same direction the first time it is turned on. You probably want it to unwind the winch rather than pull in at this point. Just connect it temporarily and make sure it is set to unwind as its first action from powering up.

By the way, I built in a safety feature. It will ignore the first time you try and activate it, but will respond every time from then on.

Just wanted to say that Big78 and I hooked up the winch to his controller..and I was impressed, thing works really well....now make a 3 wire for my winch...I need a 3 position to....

Back