• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Which Transmitter -- Newbie to Rock Crawlers

Marshall_S

I looked for a 'Newbie' thread but did not find one, soooooooooo ..... I just purchased my first rock crawler, a used RC Rock Crawler EnRoute Berg 2.2. Among many other things, it has a dig switch, two matched Integy motors and a Novak Rooster Crawler ESC. It comes RTC with the exception of receiver and transmitter. I currently am using a Spektrum Dx3S for all my other cars & boats. Can I use it for this Berg crawler? Which receiver are most people using? Thanks for the feedback.

For the dig swtich to function properly, you need to purchase at least a 3 channel radio with a 3 position switch....like the Spektrum DX3R or Futaba 3PK.

Or DX3E if you are on a budget. You can easily move the switch to a more comfortable location, that is really the only downside to the radio except for the lack of model memory. Hey for $100 I think it is money well spend. Also if you ever decide to go to dual esc's wantAsummit has a hack to allow proportional control.

I say Do it once Do it right 4PKS. If you plan on getting serious about MOA's and competing that is more than likely where your going to end up soo why waste the money in between!

It will give you 4 channels, dig, and will allow you to mix the front/rear throttle ratio. Spetrum doesn't do the last. I've had spektrums in the past and they are nice they are resonably price but use a Futaba 4PK or 4PKS once and you will understand why soo many others do.

The big draw back is the price!

Last edited:
Since you have other cars on spektrum already I would say sell the 3s and go with a 3r. The 3500 or 3520(?) Are the smallest rx's and what I would use.

Or

Go for the 4pk/4pks and run dual esc.

Thanks for the info. I know the Futaba would be the best route to take but it is also another $500 .... soooooooooo since this is my first crawler I think I'll either get a DX3e or perhaps the 3-position adapter from WantAsummit.

Thanks for the info. I know the Futaba would be the best route to take but it is also another $500 .... soooooooooo since this is my first crawler I think I'll either get a DX3e or perhaps the 3-position adapter from WantAsummit.

"thumbsup" Cheap'n'Easy way to go with a momentary proportional Dig.

Greetings Frank

Yea, since it's my first and I haven't even run one yet, I think I'll go the cheaper way for now and then it really gets me going (which it probably will) then I can dump $500 into a new transmitter and probably have to get another dig etc, etc. But with 4 RC cars and 2 RC boats, I have plenty of areas to throw money at. :) Man I love this RC stuff :ror:

If your not wanting to drop a ton into a new radio look at a futaba 3pmx, or maybe a 4pl i think for the money the 4pl would be hard to beat i believe it has most of the features that the 4pk does that your going to want at a more reasonable price. I do know it is a wee little bit slower than a 4pks but considering your crawling and not running. 80mph in a race it shouldn't be an issue. I've done the dual stick with a dx6i and had a spektrum 3channel Amanda to be honest I've been far more impressed with the futaba than any other. Including.g traxxas

I k ow that novaks new escape with dig is out but to be honest I've had nothing but problems with novak gouge all the way back to racing the original associated rc10 yeah the one withthe gold chassis

Last edited:

i run dual mamba micro's in my xr-10 and i use a 3PKS ....

it can do everything the 4PK can ..... less the extra channel and a few $$$$$

"thumbsup"

Back