• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Which Orange?????

scottyp

Hi, Im going to be painting a lexan body and for my colors i would like to do Orange, Silver or Gun Metal and Black. Tamiya offers several different Oranges and Im not sure which to use. I think it will be between the Pure Orange (PS62), Translucent Orange (PS43) and Orange (PS 7). Any advice is much appreciated.

Pick whichever orange you like best. Seriously, you can't ask others "which should I use", as everyone will have their own opinion. The ONLY person why can decide 'which' orange is best for you, IS you.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

I guess what im really trying to figure out is how each one looks when applied to lexan.

Im going to make some test panels.

Google the color codes - it's a great way to find shots of vehicles painted in each.

Sure, the lighting in the photographs and the backing colors chosen on the bodies will change things up a bit - but it's still helpful.

And PS43, since it's translucent, is going to vary WILDLY depending on the backing color!

Last edited:
Ive used a couple different oranges, and imo, they need to be backed with white. I backed one with silver and it really muted the orange.

If you can stomach the cost, get them all and try out the different colors with different backings on a scrap piece of lexan, or an old coke bottle or some other clear plastic. I like to make a bunch of rows with masking tape, paint the different colors and then run tape across the other way and paint the different backing colors, then you can see what they will all look like for all the possible combinations. It takes time and $$ for the paint but you can keep the color slide forever.

As said, white backing is probably going to offer the brightest orange.

I've used Tamiya orange and gun metal on a few of my bodies. IMO the pure orange (PS62) looks the best.

My VS4-10 PRO below is painted with PS62 Pure Orange and PS63 Bright Gun Metal.

The third pic of my SCX10.2 Toyota is painted with PS7 Orange. It is a darker shade compared to the pure orange.

IMG_4799 (2).jpg

IMG_4805 (2).jpg

IMG_5024 (2).jpg

Transluscent will be very tricky, unless you know exactly what you are doing. Backing it with any dark color, will basically ruin the orange.

That PS62 on that 10 PRO gets my vote..that thing is bad to the bone! [emoji95]

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

B-Mow, thanks for posting those pics. Thats exactly the colors im going for. Im a big fan of and ride KTM dirt bikes which is why I want to go that route. I was looking at your first Origin build thread, very impressive work! Will be checking out your Pro build next while I wait for mine to be delivered.

That PS62 on that 10 PRO gets my vote..that thing is bad to the bone! [emoji95]

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Thanks!"thumbsup""thumbsup"

B-Mow, thanks for posting those pics. Thats exactly the colors im going for. Im a big fan of and ride KTM dirt bikes which is why I want to go that route. I was looking at your first Origin build thread, very impressive work! Will be checking out your Pro build next while I wait for mine to be delivered.

Your welcome!"thumbsup"

Thanks! My Origin was and still is a fun build. It's been a fun and very dependable rig! Hoping to get it out on the rocks this spring.

If you have any questions while checking out my PRO build thread feel free to ask anytime!

Back