• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Whats the current bang for the buck "comp" crawler rig?

nd4spdbh

Rock Crawler
OK.... Here's the deal... (Sorry kind of a long read)

TLDR: What is the best bang for the buck kit / parts list to get me a good crawling (not bashing) simple rig that can utilize an AOI 540 motor ESC (hobbywing fusion se). I dont care about "scale" or fitting into a class, or fancy features like dig/overdrive etc for true competition. Simply looking for the recipe book on the current bad ass "shafty" crawler

I have been around the crawler game WELL before anything ready to run crawler was even a thought. Since the era of grabbing axles off something that was never meant to be a crawler, making your own chassis (hell me and a buddy brazed together a full brake line tube chassis crawler), slapping a "pede" transmission in with a 55t "lathe motor" (I still have my actual integy commutator lathe for brushed motors) and an MG645 servo, lipo batteries wernt a thing nor were brushless motors, and radio crystals were still an issue... needless to say its been a LOOONG time. Almost 20 years ago since my tenure here on RC Crawler forums and even longer into RC.

My crawler rig of choice a TLT axle based custom hand cut chassis 1/10th scaled rig that did amazing. (Masher 2000 gang!).

Rocked that TLT based rig for a long time sold it off and other RC's as I entered a dark era of no RC Car desires around 12 years ago. (we wont talk about this mistake in life).

Got sad rc wise circa 2016 and got an RR10 Bomber kit. Its been a great rig but honestly has never crawled as good as my ole TLT custom rig. The RR10 has lots of things better (speed durability parts availability etc)... but realistically I use it maybe 2-3x a year when camping and am consistently left underwhelmed with its performance in the rocks when I know my TLT crawler from 15-20 years ago could achieved better crawling performance.

The RR10 Bomber I have has been modded to be much more crawler oriented, gotten rid of trailing arms for a custom high clearance rear 4 link to shorten wheelbase and a move to a PHENOMINAL hobbywing fusion AIO 1850kv motor etc but its still big, heavy, WIDE, and a convoluted trans/transfer case that leads to a motor way up high.

So, back to the question same as the TLDR.... im looking for what the modern day version of the "Make your own chassis, slap some TLT axles under it with a late motor in a pede transmission" is. I have NO problem and would like it if it was a project.... not looking for RTR, hell I dont even mind making my own 4 links (some of you dont know the art of all thread and brake line sleeving).

Whats the current bang for the buck "comp" crawler rig?

Element Ecto kit is like $250

Last edited:
Re: Whats the current bang for the buck "comp" crawler rig?

Element Ecto kit is like $250
Maybe you're talking about the Enduro kit being $250? Ecto hasn't really dropped in price but that's still a good performing RTR even though OP prefers kit.

The best bang for your buck is a VRD Carbon kit.

If that’s not “hand built” enough, I’d still buy the carbon and sell whatever parts you’d rather make yourself. You’ll be money ahead.

Either way, I’d get f10’s, or Capra axles if you want the width. From there a vfd trans or a dlux portal or nod trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im with twade on this one. When the VP phoenix came out, i slapped it in a gspeed v3 chassis n it works great. The VRD carbon is an even better setup, imo. It pulls some of the lines my v3 phoenix wont. Its light weight, motor is slung low in the trans n fwd, its well planted too.

Heres my v3 phoenix (red n white ford) n my vrd
72de927ac307969998e363fc10572232.jpg
07d77960404b6664405178199a86530f.jpg
5847e642061c33e00feb78862057d4bc.jpg
213627e7706b64a390f447f9fe84a0e9.jpg
c5ee8cd3a26901380b3552c1a18449e6.jpg

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

OK.... Here's the deal... (Sorry kind of a long read)

TLDR: What is the best bang for the buck kit / parts list to get me a good crawling (not bashing) simple rig that can utilize an AOI 540 motor ESC (hobbywing fusion se). I dont care about "scale" or fitting into a class, or fancy features like dig/overdrive etc for true competition. Simply looking for the recipe book on the current bad ass "shafty" crawler

I have been around the crawler game WELL before anything ready to run crawler was even a thought. Since the era of grabbing axles off something that was never meant to be a crawler, making your own chassis (hell me and a buddy brazed together a full brake line tube chassis crawler), slapping a "pede" transmission in with a 55t "lathe motor" (I still have my actual integy commutator lathe for brushed motors) and an MG645 servo, lipo batteries wernt a thing nor were brushless motors, and radio crystals were still an issue... needless to say its been a LOOONG time. Almost 20 years ago since my tenure here on RC Crawler forums and even longer into RC.

My crawler rig of choice a TLT axle based custom hand cut chassis 1/10th scaled rig that did amazing. (Masher 2000 gang!).

Rocked that TLT based rig for a long time sold it off and other RC's as I entered a dark era of no RC Car desires around 12 years ago. (we wont talk about this mistake in life).

Got sad rc wise circa 2016 and got an RR10 Bomber kit. Its been a great rig but honestly has never crawled as good as my ole TLT custom rig. The RR10 has lots of things better (speed durability parts availability etc)... but realistically I use it maybe 2-3x a year when camping and am consistently left underwhelmed with its performance in the rocks when I know my TLT crawler from 15-20 years ago could achieved better crawling performance.

The RR10 Bomber I have has been modded to be much more crawler oriented, gotten rid of trailing arms for a custom high clearance rear 4 link to shorten wheelbase and a move to a PHENOMINAL hobbywing fusion AIO 1850kv motor etc but its still big, heavy, WIDE, and a convoluted trans/transfer case that leads to a motor way up high.

So, back to the question same as the TLDR.... im looking for what the modern day version of the "Make your own chassis, slap some TLT axles under it with a late motor in a pede transmission" is. I have NO problem and would like it if it was a project.... not looking for RTR, hell I dont even mind making my own 4 links (some of you dont know the art of all thread and brake line sleeving).

Welcome back oldtimer! Im doing the same as you.... trying to find the right right to get back at it..tired of scale rigs, want to go back to a comp set up like we used to run. The stampede tranny was used in my Bender customs chassis with tlt axles!!

RC Crawling has come a long way since TLT axles with silly putty stuffed in the spider gears.

If you're after absolute best performance, it is going to require you to piece something together. There are tons of chassis out now. Exo, King of the South, Brazin Scale, Corrupt Carbon Works all make good chassis. Vanquish F10 axles (and F10 portals) are great. Capra axles are good if you dont mind a wide rig, but they arent ideal for scale comps.

The Vanquish VRD would be my choice if bang for the buck kit is what you're after. $430 and you get a carbon fiber chassis with a solid drivetrain.

I think it's tough to argue against the VRD Carbon kit.

I can give an absolute +1 to this.

I made a mistake. A large mistake that led to unfathomable events. Ok, well sort of.

I drove a friends VRD Carbon. And immediately bought a kit and built it. That led to me also having to rebuild my other crawler because it sucked in comparison. Wasn't even half as capable as a stock VRD Carbon.

Back