• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Whats the answer to double barrel shocks binding so much once installed?

VenomousSVT

Pebble Pounder
So I've got a set of double barrel 49mm (I believe) shocks on my completely "comp rig" scx24. I've toyed with spacers and making sure the wider flange on the eyelet was facing the chassis but I keep having binding issues... The truck will flex out, but not smoothly. Once its there, it doesn't want to return normally and will ride at full ride height not even touching the spring on the perch. I thought the spring rates were too much, so I threw in my stock shock springs so it would sit at a lower droop. This allowed me to get some different shock alignment and not have to worry about the truck sitting too high. I haven't found a shorter shock that was still a long body that wasn't a double barrel, but I have seen several mentions that people didn't like double barrel for similar reasons. I'm considering using a stock AX24 shock to see if it will have a smoother action. If anyone has suggestions I'm happy to take them and run with it.

dUePrVS.jpeg

Try spacing the top of the shot out a couple of mm. I think a lot of people run them upside down too.

Remove 1 o-ring from the bigger side of the little ball joints, top and bottom. That will free them up a little and allow them to have more range of motion.
I had the same issue and it made a big difference

It's the alignment. They must be perfectly inline from mount to mount. Looks like your bottoms stick out further than the tops. I have a similar chassis with those shocks and my upper ends have a 1 or 2mm spacer between the chassis and upper shock. My barrel shocks came with them. Without them mine would bind too.

dfdef1605679162aa74cd3eb79041ee9.jpg

Back