• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

What would you do in this situation?

GavinTimleck

So for starters, im just getting into crawlers and I have little experience. I come from the land of 1:10 drifters :ror: and my funds are very limited
But anyway, I am purchasing a crawler and here are my options
and take in mind I am biased toward scale realism, and would probably go nuts on the body.
On craigslist I can get an scx10 honcho stock for $300 (in the box, recepit ect.)
Or an axial ax10 for considerably cheaper in a trade (aluminum links, lipo, high steer, and other goodies)

Should I choose: A) Save and get the scx10
or.. B) Buy the ax10 and buy scx frame kit and convert it
or.. C) Buy the ax10 and buy the bolt on tuber kit

What would be most beneficial?

Last edited:
If your funds are that limited you may want consider getting into this portion of the hobby, before you know it you'll have grand in each rig :shock: :lmao: Jk I would go with A. There is a huge aftermarket for the scx10, especially since you want scale. And there are plenty of free mods you can do as well.

man that's a tough one. it depends on what "considerable cheaper" is. the axles are the same between the ax10 and scx10 so if you could pick up the ax10 cheap enough and get a scx10 chassis this may be the way to go. use the axles, transmission, driveshafts, links, and electronics from the ax10 an build the scx10 frame. really it would depend on the price for me, but it sounds like the ax10 may have some upgraded parts on it that you would have to buy (or want to buy) for the honcho.

Howuch cheaper is the ax10? Because the scx10 conversion is $60 to get the frame and braces. So if your looking at $240 or below for the ax10 I'd say get the instead

Howuch cheaper is the ax10? Because the scx10 conversion is $60 to get the frame and braces. So if your looking at $240 or below for the ax10 I'd say get the instead

I would plan on trading an old drift rig for it, so that would leave cash for the conversion, body, and scale accessories.

I'd go the B route, then you don't have to be worried about getting bored any time soon. Lots of trying out, possibilities and swapping options if you'd ask me.

Well, here are my 2 cents:

It would seem that having both scalers and drifters myself, I would probably get the AX10 to start. The main reason all the aluminum upgrades. Save money, why pay for parts you are just gonna replace anyways. It was mentioned that you can get a new SCX10 chassis for about $60. If you hunt, you can find them for cheaper or even for trade. Now on the other hand, if you are just looking for more of the appearance of your new off road whip, an SCX10 is a great basic start. Find your body, adjust the wheelbase, (I think it's easier than trying to achieve a 65degree steering angle on a drifter) and add your details!"thumbsup"

Back