• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

What Is The Best Scale Motor/Brand?

murlin12

Pebble Pounder
Hey guys whats up? So im going to get a motor for my SCX10, and i was wanting a motor that has lots of torque and speed. So feel free to comment and post pics of your crawlers."thumbsup"

Last edited:
Holms Hobbies all the way for me. They are a great quality motor and have never let me down. I have them in all of my cars that aren't brushless.

X2. Best scaler motor in existence.

I was looking at a Trailmaster 27t for my current SCX10 project, but honestly I have been happier with my Br00d motors (love my BR-XL though).

Can someone give a turn comparison to a 540 as the Br00d site doesn't list turns for this one at all.

I've never had an complaints about it.....Not really a motor I would put in an MOA, but for a scaler or sporty, they have been popular. I've even had people buy them to put in their kids power wheels...

Later EddieO

I've been looking at those stump humpers as possible replacements for aging, and dying, Kyosho Magnetic Mayhems.

Has anyone perhaps run both motors? Any insights as to similarities and differences? I know the MM are 22 turn single wind with fixed timing (which it is pretty easy to make adjustable) and bushings. So I'm guessing that the stump humpers are going to be much faster?

Team Brood Racing :: Crawler Motors :: Machine Wound Motors :: Stump Humper 550

X2. Best scaler motor in existence.

x3 I recently put one in my SCX10 YJ and today was the first time I had to really get out and give it a try. I will NEVER buy anything different for a scaler.

I run the 4.19 MTZ's so I geared it 54/12 (54 to clear the TMaxx yokes) and put a little fan on it. I ran it hard for 1.5-2 hours today and it never heated up, had tons of torque and is as fast as a 17.5 brushless if not faster.

I was actually thinking about switching to brushless in this truck, but I hadn't yet due to it currently being relatively water resistant.

I am VERY happy with this motor!

From my experience I say brood all the way. I am working on switching my stuff from holmes to brood. I like my holmes stuff but have had more issues with my holmes stuff and so have my friends. I have ran the same brood motor in one rig I have for about 3 years now and rebuilt it one time. The holmes motors I seem to rebuild about every 3-4 months. I only run them on weekends and not every weekend and all of my motors are between 27t and 35t motors so not much of a difference. I think holmes just uses softer copper or something since the brushes are usually worn completly out and the comm needs turned. I am fixing to start using the brushes I got from brrod in them and see how they work out since the money isn't here to just get all new motors yet.

Most speedos should have no issues running it, as the 550 turn counts don't carry over to a 540, which almost all ESC use as their limit ratings. If the speed control can handle a 19t 540, it would have no issues with a Stump Humper. It's really a wattage rating, so a typical 19t makes 170 watts or so....if a speedo can handle that, a Stump Humper doesn't make near 170 watts.

Later EddieO

Most speedos should have no issues running it, as the 550 turn counts don't carry over to a 540, which almost all ESC use as their limit ratings. If the speed control can handle a 19t 540, it would have no issues with a Stump Humper. It's really a wattage rating, so a typical 19t makes 170 watts or so....if a speedo can handle that, a Stump Humper doesn't make near 170 watts.

Later EddieO

Thanks for response "thumbsup"

Right now im looking at some 13.5t sensored brushless motors. Will probably change my pinion gears.

Back