• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

What do I need to give my SCX10 Deadbolt rear steer?

Derekuda

I think rear steer would be sweet on my SCX10, along with giving it a nice tight turning radius, but I am lost on what parts I need. Also, are there any disadvantages to rear steer?

Last edited:
It would take a set of steering c-hubs, knuckles and axles. Just match the parts on the front end of the truck. The axle already has the mounts for the servo plate. I can't tell you about the electronics side of thing but hard parts wise it is pretty simple.

Chubs, knucks, steering axles either cvd's or stock dog bones and cups, another servo, and possibly a new radio setup depending on what you have and if you want to have options with your rear steering. Only disadvantages I can think of it more weight, more moving parts to break, slightly more power consumption, more wiring, and of course it's only legal to use rear steering in C3 for competition.

You basically need a front axle in the rear.

C-hubs, knuckles, universal axles (or dog-bone set-up) a pair of 10x15x4mm bearings, a second servo, servo screws (4), servo horn, servo plate, servo mounts, servo extension/Y-harness (maybe), steering linkage, rod ends, pivot balls, flange pipe (4), screws to secure the knuckles to the C-hubs (4) and other miscellaneous hardware needed to complete conversion.

Double check your manual for part numbers and to compare the differences between the front a rear axle diagrams, there may be something I've missed.

I prefer the Wraith servo screws.

The Y-harness is for running both servos off the same channel on the receiver, the servo extension is for running the rear servo off the 3rd channel.

Like idaho mentioned, you'd have to check and see if your radio can accommodate rear steer. Simply using a Y-harness will cause something called "crab crawling" where the rig will have a sideways movement caused by the tires not turning opposite if each other. Simply put a radio with rear steer mixing functions is needed.

You could accomplish this task with a 3 position channel, but you wouldn't get the same proportional contol you would with a radio that has rear steer mixing functions.

3 Position channel Example:
Position 1: would turn the servo full left.
Position 2: would be neutral (straight)
Position 3: would turn the servo full right.

Last edited:
Like idaho mentioned, you'd have to check and see if your radio can accommodate rear steer. Simply using a Y-harness will cause something called "crab crawling" where the rig will have a sideways movement caused by the tires not turning opposite if each other.

You use a servo reverser to change direction on the rear servo.

TowerHobbies.com | EMS Servo Reverser Futaba J

If you want to change between rear steering directions you'll need a radio capable of switching the direction, but for basic rear steering it's not necessary.

Last edited:
You can also buy some servos in reverse ration. Forgot about those being available.

Back