• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

What are your thoughts - Father/Son Build

SRJ

Trying to start a build with my 10 year-old in an effort to not only have some father/son bonding time, but to be able to work through a build. I am hoping this will provide a great learning experience for the both of us.

Researched the Element Enduro Sendero, RC4WD and the Axial kits. With this in mind, I have come up with one possible build package that I could use some more experienced feedback on.

I choose to post this in the "Newbie General" section as we are really "newbies", open to suggestions, and willing to learn from more experienced folks. Essentials, upgrades, and/or must haves are welcome. I am also open to folks telling me I'm crazy and should just stick to a RTR. Here we go:

Approx. $550.00 as outlined below.

[FONT=&quot]RAW BUILDERS KIT[FONT=&quot] - Axial SCX10 II - $199.99[/FONT][/FONT]

SERVO - EcoPower WP110T Cored Waterproof High Torque Metal Gear - $39.99

MOTOR - Holmes Hobbies TrailMaster Sport 540 Brushed Motor (35T) - $16.99

[FONT=&quot]ESC [FONT=&quot]- Hobbywing QuicRun Waterproof 1080 Brushed Crawling (2-3S) - $41.99[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]RADIO[FONT=&quot] – SPEKTRUMRC STX3 2.4 HZ 3 Channel – $44.99[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]BATTERY[FONT=&quot] - EcoPower "Trail" 2S 45C Hard Case LiPo (7.4V/5000mA) (2) – $75.98[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]CHARGER[FONT=&quot] - EcoPower "Electron 44 AC" LiHV/LiPo/LiFe (2-4S/4A/50W) - $29.99[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]TIRES[FONT=&quot] – Pro-Line Class 1 Hyrax 1.9” Rock Crawlers (4) - $59.98[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]WHEELS[FONT=&quot] – Axial Black Rock CRC 1.9 (4) - $23.98[/FONT][/FONT]

BODY - TBD.

Last edited:
3S 2200mah nano-tech lipos are far cheaper from hobbyking. and will work just as well, I'd suggest or or 3. The b6 charger works very well too. That'll save ya about 30 bucks and give you better batteries.

A rtr will get you on the trail faster and cheaper, you will however still have to get a battery/s and charger.... However I prefer Kits, and The Raw Builders kit is a great bang for the buck.

You can factor about $40-$50 for a body in there.

I agree the $14 2200 mah 3s lipos are my battery of choice. A 35t motor does not draw enough amps to worry the battery.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-c...KCAjwg6b0BRBMEiwANd1_SIw_4g9ON1BAlFM63UaUdBs2

You can also save about $16 by buying the 20kg Power Hd servo... $24 iirc.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/power-h...FiNjVtdTIo4Pw8qhysBoCrhgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Beadlocks too....
https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/axi43004.htm

Last edited:
Hopefully your son has a bit more interest than mine we got to about step 3 of the raw builders kid before he wondered off. Either way you look like you have a very nice build lined up.

I would remove the RC4WD from your list and insert Traxxas TRX4 in it's place. The TRX4 is much more robust. The TRX4 also has a great deal of aftermarket support. The go to economical ESC/Motor combo is the HW1080 and HH Crawlmaster Sport 550 15T for about $62 total. A 3S battery will provide a bit more speed while still being smooth at slow speeds and you can never go wrong with a Hytec charger.

I think you're heading down the Correct Road.
Building a Kit may be a bit slower than an RTR, but you and your son will be far better acquainted with not only the vehicle but its potential. And because you built it, you'll be able to better solve issues as they arrive.

the Axial build Kit is a nice kit. Not many upgrades or hopup parts in it. So as things progress, and some issues arise, it will be a great teaching moment for your boy, and you, determining which solution is better. ie replace any issues with stock pieces, or upgrade that part, why it may or should be upgraded. etc.

That kit is not perfect, which IS Perfect imo. IE, you will need to understand what it goes through, to determine the best solution for improving ability, or improving durability.

Welcome to a Great Hobby to you both. Now get one of the woman, and make it a family affair. heh

I think involving your son is an excellent idea. You will quickly learn how deep his level of interest goes. One of my sons at about the same age loved being involved and the other (twins)only wanted to know when it would be done. For the one that stayed with it, he carried and honed the skills he learned forward. Now he is the go to guy when his brother needs help with anything requiring basic electr/mechanical skills.

This is a really good idea. I built my first kit with my dad when I was about ten, which got me really into the hobby. Now, I am a complete rc addict.

So the list that you put together is a really good for an easy build the only thing I would change is the servo. Look for one that has metal gears. The 20kg power hd one suggested earlier isn't bad, servos are one those things I like to buy nice rather than buy twice or more times. I have had good luck with protek servos and savox.

I 100% support building a kit with your son! My father did it with me when I was about 8 and the Tamiya Hornet was new. Decades later I got him back into it with an Axial Dingo kit. It's a great family hobby and something you can have in common for a long time.

Agreed - remove RC4WD as an option. The only good products they make are some wheels and some tires.

The SCX10 II is fine. Any reason you chose that over the Element Enduro kit? I don't have a preference - just curious. Either one would be a great build.

Everything else on your list looks good except for the batteries. Go elsewhere - HobbyKing, etc.

Where are you planing on buying your motor/esc? HH motors don’t come with the leads unless you order directly from him and you’ll have to pay extra for that. Otherwise you’ll have to solder them on which means you’ll need leads, soldering iron etc. Do you know someone who can solder foe you? Same goes for the esc, you’ll have to solder on the battery connectors. Lastly the STX3 is crap. Came with my rtr Arrmas, a lot of people had issues with them so I ended up tossing each one. I am sure you can find a better option, perhaps someone can suggest one for you. Most guys run more expensive transmitters so they may not know of the STX3 issues.

That's cool, my dad never liked any of my hobbies but I used to help him work on his cars so I grew up to appreciate mechanical things. Buy what you can used, you can get more expensive gear for less but I probably don't have to tell you that.

i would love to do this with my son. but hes not quite 5. but he is coming along with "slow and steady" in mind!

Back