• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Tunza Fun

addiemonster

Pebble Pounder
A year or so ago, I built this. Just a standard Trailrunner with the IFS 1.0 and a cheapo Amazon 25kg servo. I had originally painted it teal but it took a big tumble down a gravel hill and that's how I learned Rustoleum 2X does not bond very well to Tamiya plastic. So I just sprayed black over everything and eventually donated it to my partner as their first trail rig.

qViuQUv.jpeg

Fast forward a few months and I began to miss it. My partner was falling in love with The Big Green Idiot so we decided to do some tradesies. They had put a hell of a beating on the body, so I was sanding it back with the intention of experimenting with different paints and solvents etc. We both looked at it all sanded down with the layers coming through and decided it looked sick as hell, so that's how she's staying for now.

Anyway I put massive stupid tires on it and chopped the fenders out even more.

Tpyvrwr.jpeg

SdGMPDa.jpeg

The switch to huge tires appeared too much for the stock ESC to handle, and it kept browning out while attempting to steer on the rocks. Eventually the drag brake stopped working (but only going forward???) and then POOF the magic smoke! Weird. Never had an ESC do that just trying to run 4.7s on 2S power. This really wasn't any heavier a rig than my stock SCX10.2 Honcho was when I ran it on 2S and 4.7 Nittos. Oh well, I have a 1080 v2 to slap in it and eventually I'll upgrade to a Fusion setup.

Short term to-do list:

Swap in Hobbywing 1080 v2 ESC
Locate a 550 can of some sort in my spares (if I have one)
Mount the Gmade tires on my Injora five spoke beadlocks (pictured in the first image)

Wire up all the lights

Long term to-do list:

Hobbywing Fusion SE
Stronger servo
Better foams/inserts/etc
Winch
Scale goodies
Fabricate front inner fenders
Braze up a rear cage to replace the warped and mangled bed
Paint??? (I dunno, I kinda like how unique it looks and the color combo is rad)

Last edited:
Thanks! I don't appear to have a spare 550 brushed can, but I did find this ancient RC4WD 4:1 gear reduction box! I also decided to just toss in a 1060 I tore out of an RTR at some point. We'll see how this goes, if the truck is way too slow for my needs (walking speed at minimum) I'll just build a trailer to tow it on.

YIk8gpJ.jpeg

I also managed to mount the Gmade 1904s on my Injora beadlocks. I originally bought these for this truck because they have five lugs like a real Tundra, and they just kinda fit the look. They remind me of the factory Tundra steelies.

B3MQPGE.jpeg

I also decided to start adding some scale details to this goofy little goober. The Injora wheels come with neat little dress up caps for the hubs to hide the wheel nut. Decided the rears could stay to imply a Limited e-locker and replaced the front caps with SSD hubs to imply an aftermarket air locker setup.

5OsCLkT.jpeg

zfTsKOh.jpeg

You can also see how unevenly chopped the rear wheel arches are. I really can't express how badly my bed is warped (arrived new in package like this) and so I've mostly given up caring about it. With how rapidly this is approaching dedicated rock crawler status, I believe it's time I finally learned to braze and hand build a rear cage for it. Wish I had decided to do that in the first place, woulda saved nearly $100 on the rear half of a Tundra body!

Back