• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

TRX-4M F-150

Greatscott

Too much build, not enough drive
Subscribed Member
Greetings!!!

I have just jumped into the TRX-4M world. I bought it last weekend, and have driven it a couple of times, it seems like a fun rig. The last time I owed a 1/18 scale rig was way back in the days when I competed with the Losi 1/18 crawler.

Weight:
I am looking at weight kits to get this thing a bit more planted.

ESC:
What is the ESC of choice for this rig? I was thinking about going with Hobbywing EZRun.

Servo:
What is the servo of choice?

congrats on the trx4m .... I have yet to get a hold of one ... might build one from option parts. I recently revamped my old scx24 and been diving into the small scale rigs and been building and upgrading them slowly. I don't really know how the stock esc on the trx4m but for my mini's the injora mb-1 esc has worked flawlessly and provides very good low end control while being very quiet. I have 2 and they are great for the price... likely less than the price of the stock traxxas unit. For servos I been using the commonly used emax which works great as budget but for some of the comp little builds I have been using the NSDRC rs100's which offer a stronger pull and a very nice case.

ive been trying to build 1 for along time now i just have a hard time getting in to building the little ones my hands dont work to good these days
the scx24 sufferes from the same problem as the trx4m only the parts are even smaller and even harder to work with same for the losi trail trekker
some day i might pick up one thats already built but once i finish the trx4m tarantula i probably wont build any more small scale rigs

I got this GLOBACT brass kit for my TRX-4M. Never got around to installing it though as I wanted to use brass black to get rid of any evidence of the brass color.

I'm still using the stock ESC and servo although I haven't driven mine more than a few times indoors. I did upgrade to a Holmes Hobbies motor and the crawler gearset.

I also got these brass rings for inside beadlock wheels.

I don't have the rig yet, but I have do have furitek system I am going to put in it once I do have it. I originally bought the esc for my scx24, but sold the rig off before it was installed. Looks like it's called a Tegu

1000009370.jpg

I don't have the rig yet, but I have do have furitek system I am going to put in it once I do have it. I originally bought the esc for my scx24, but sold the rig off before it was installed. Looks like it's called a Tegu
Harley and others had issues with the Furitek brushless system cutting out. For your sake, I hope this ESC does not have the same issue.

Harley and others had issues with the Furitek brushless system cutting out. For your sake, I hope this ESC does not have the same issue.
Oh shit, I did not hear about that. Well, If i ever get the rig I will let ya know lol. All I ever heard about was how smooth they were

Many thanks for the feedback!!!

I have done some mods. Not being a fan of Traxxas' RXs, that was the first thing that needed to go. Of course, that meant the ESC had to go as well, they are kind of connected...

My first step was to design and print a t-style e-tray. I used the slot on the cross member of the back shock tower as a mount point, using a 3mm screw.

image0 (5) by Scott O, on Flickr

image1 (4) by Scott O, on Flickr

The HW1060 went on one side, and the Sketrum RX on the other side.

image6 by Scott O, on Flickr

The battery and connector fit neatly under the bed of the body, with no need for a battery strap.

image7 by Scott O, on Flickr

I have also installed brass steering blocks.

I am going to install brass diff covers and drag link. I am also installing back tail lights and getting the lighted roll bar.

Steering servo.
One of the other upgrades I want to do is to install a better steering servo. But, in researching this, the stock servos seem to last and work well of this rig.

RX. I am running a 2-ch RX, and I like the way it fits on the rig. I am finding it hard to see a need for a three or four channel RX for this guy.

Last edited:
Well, I thought I was done with build, I have added weight everywhere except the wheels, it drives good, and everything works. With that, I decided today that I am going to replace the XT60 with an XT30, or I might just go straight to the JST plug… Not sure yet.

But, for what its worth, here is my almost finished 4m. The headlights are stock, the roll bar lights are Traxxas, and I threw in the trail lights with 3mm LED on hand…

I am not sure of the trailer just yet… I would like it a lot more of it sat a bit flatter to the truck. The hitch that comes with the track is longer than the one that comes with the trailer, but it still looks a bit off. I am going to see about designing up and printing some stuff to make the trailer look overland-ish.

Untitled by Scott O, on Flickr

i vote for bigger tires on the trailer rather than a new hitch

cause you know that thing

I am actually impress with how little the hitch effects the departure angle, so I don't think I want to mess with that.

The trailer does not have an axle, the wheels are mounted to tabs that hand down on each side, I might see about cutting those off and making my own that raise the trailer up a bit.

Back