• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

TOT's LCG Budget Fun Build

I recently converted my 2021 Bronco TRX-4 to IFS and did a portal delete in the rear, killing most of the crawling performance it had. But hey, it's SCALE™!

Due to that I want something that's going to perform well, and be able to tackle the more difficult lines at my local crawling spot. Some searching on FB marketplace and I found a TRX-4 sport kit that someone built up for a buddy who backed out of getting into the hobby. They built it with some decent, yet still budget minded electronics including a HW Fusion SE 1800kv, an amazon special 45kg servo, and a Spektrum SLT3 transmitter/receiver. Everything was brand new and never used, except for the body.

Here are some shots of the initial shake down run at my local spot.

Sa9tEqrh.jpg

CpukuAKh.jpg

RuwCbAmh.jpg

o14YdrCh.jpg

The sport definitely performs better than my 2021 Bronco did when it still had portals. The lower weight from the sport body not having all the features of the full fledged TRX-4 was very apparent. The HW Fusion SE is much more controllable than the brushed set-up in a stock TRX-4. All in all I was pleasantly impressed with it.

The second photo shows a spot that I was never able to tackle with the Bronco, but the Sport was able to conquer it (after a few tries). It's deceivingly vertical, and I toppled over a few times before finding the right line/technique.

I will be documenting the build here. There are no concrete plans or goals, just want to make something fun and keep it relatively low cost.

My plan for the initial upgrades are:
Injora LCG Chassis (purchased)
Losi Mini-T Springs (purchased)
FJ40 cab-only body (purchased)
3d printed tire inserts
3d printed rear cage/bed
20%-30% overdrive

We will see where it goes from there!

nice build you got there ... the hop-ups you got on the way sound great ... the TRX4 sport is a great kit and with your existing hop-ups are probably some of the best a sport could have. I want to see the bronco with the IFS and Portal delete.

nice build you got there ... the hop-ups you got on the way sound great ... the TRX4 sport is a great kit and with your existing hop-ups are probably some of the best a sport could have. I want to see the bronco with the IFS and Portal delete.

The IFS/portal delete is still a WIP. But I attached the only decent picture I have of it currently. I'll make a thread about it when I'm done.

It's an Element IFS2 kit, but the gear ratios are way too different from the traxxas ring/pinion. So I designed and 3d printed a new diff carrier to fit the traxxas ring/pinion. It's currently just locked out, but I plan to make it lockable/unlockable like the stock portal axle.

RMZeQASh.jpg

Side note, I was having the hardest time uploading this pic to imgur so I could share it. It would just give me a bogus share link and if I tried to find the image in my account it wasn't there... Finally figured out that I had to block out the corner of a youtube stream I had in the background. It was a Harley Designs stream, and all you should see was his face, not sure why that caused an issue.

interesting.... should be a great project. looking forward to some updates and also the bronco thread

That IFS build is very cool! I look forward to that thread.

The LCG sport looks like a fun project as well. One day I'll get a trx4 to play around with.

Yo!, I'm going to need to watch this IFS modification. Looks fabulous sofar.

IFS...gorgeous .....but arent we here for the trx4?:mrgreen:
Anyway...I would rather get different tires than 3D printed insert ...they are expensive and a hit or miss IMHO.
Other than that High clearance links , brass knuckles front and a BEC to take full advantage of the servo "thumbsup"

Back