• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Torquemaster 27t vs stock 20t

merin_83

hello Guys,
Am going to buy the torquemaster 27T, but just want to know if its almost of the same torque and speed of the stock 20T motor ?

thanks,
merin

You'll lose a tad bit of speed, you'll have more torque. Overall, a way better motor, especially if you do any slower speed stuff.

oh, i liked the speed of stock, but lacked torque, so i guess small loss in speed should'nt be a problem :)

You could always get something along the lines of a 21t from Holmes Hobbies or Brood, then you'd have plenty of speed and some torque to match.

I just made this switch in my Wraith about 3 weeks ago.
Like everyone said you'll lose a touch of overall speed,but gain (atleast what seemed like to me) a load of torque and way more low end control.

what spur and pinion are you using, and what pitch ? is it 56/12T wit 32p as mentioned in stickies ?

I'm running big power in my Wraith on 32p gearing, I think you would honestly be fine sticking with 48p gearing. I think somewhere around 18/87 would be a good start, as always though keep an eye on motor/esc temps when trying out different gearing.

Thanks, you may get to see it one of these days, if I can make it down your way to trail with the group of guys that run over at Hoover.

whats the basics behind a 20t or a 55t motor?

It refers to the amount of times wire is wrapped around an armature. The amount of turns determines the resistance of the motor.

The less wire the less resistance.
The less resistance the faster it spins.

The MORE wire on the armature the better your torque density will be. That's why handwound motors have better torque, as they can use a larger wire gauge and put a lot more copper on the arm in the same amount of turns.

After multiple, 9-10 hour road trips with John from Holmes Hobbies I have got quite the ear beating on how this stuff works. This stuff can be really fun. :lol: in a super nerdy way.

It refers to the amount of times wire is wrapped around an armature. The amount of turns determines the resistance of the motor.

The MORE wire on the armature the better your torque density will be. That's why handwound motors have better torque, as they can use a larger wire gauge and put a lot more copper on the arm in the same amount of turns.

After multiple, 9-10 hour road trips with John from Holmes Hobbies I have got quite the ear beating on how this stuff works. This stuff can be really fun. :lol: in a super nerdy way.

exactly,

more turns = Less speed + more torque
less turns = More speed + less torque

all i learnt from this forum "thumbsup"

My Holmes 45t is slower than my buddies Axial 55t. I think he's geared lower than me too.
Holmes has way more torque!

thanks for the great input, that clears things up alot. what do slow crawlers like better, hight turn or low? (27t or more towards 55t)

Now I gotta figure out all this gibber jabber on here about 2s ,3s, 4s, brushless, sensored, lipo etc....would be nice to have a quick reference guide of all these loosely used terms for all the newbs like me :mrgreen: I guess all in due time... Carry on........."thumbsup"

Last edited:
Back