• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

throttle using servo

Hi
I'm not quite sure if I'm in the right place for this, but was wondering as I have a traxxas tq3 radio an a receiver. I can get one servo to turn using the steering of the radio, but i wanted the other servo to turn using the throttle. I tried plugging the servo straight in an pressing the throttle but nothing happend, am I doing something wrong? or do you need a speed controller connected to a motor for the throttle to turn?
(and yeah, im probably the most newb youl find haha)

It should work, thats how a nitro vehical works (but they use a rx battery for power). Are you sure both servos are good? did you plug the one you have plugged into the steering into the throttle and try it there? You don't need a motor hooked up to the esc in order to power up the rx, but I assume you have the esc plug into the rx somewhere other than the throttle channel?

It should work, thats how a nitro vehical works (but they use a rx battery for power). Are you sure both servos are good? did you plug the one you have plugged into the steering into the throttle and try it there? You don't need a motor hooked up to the esc in order to power up the rx, but I assume you have the esc plug into the rx somewhere other than the throttle channel?
if its what im thinking its a poteiometer and hes' using a servo to turn it if its for throttle?

Umm, no I have no motors, what I'm trying to do is I found this thing where you can 'hack' the servos, for continuous rotation, an I was going to use the steering channel to run one servo, and the throttle to run the other.

I tried both servos on the steering channel, an they both work fine, but plugged into the second channel which I would guess is throttle nothing happens. Although if I turn the pot (i think its called) in the servo, the motor will turn, but not due to the transmitter

Thanks for all the help

I did the "hack" thing as you call it to a servo to use as a winch. Mines plugged into the third ch on my dx3 and it works great but that is a three position sw on-off-on not a pot like the throttle and steering are. Does your radio have epa's? maybe they are set to 0 on that channel that doesn't work? If it is not that then I don't know but I'd like to hear why if it wasn't working when you figure it out.

oh right I think I get what you mean, would it matter that I have a 2 channel receiver an a 3 channel transmitter? I'm not too sure what an epa is though?

Also if this helps, when I put a servo onto the steering channel that does work when the transmitter is turned off, the servo kinda goes a little spaz. But the servo on the second channel does nothing whether the transmitter is on or off, it would only move if the pot gets moved inside the servo.

Last edited:
oh right I think I get what you mean, would it matter that I have a 2 channel receiver an a 3 channel transmitter? I'm not too sure what an epa is though?

Also if this helps, when I put a servo onto the steering channel that does work when the transmitter is turned off, the servo kinda goes a little spaz. But the servo on the second channel does nothing whether the transmitter is on or off, it would only move if the pot gets moved inside the servo.

A 2 ch receiver is ok with a three ch radio as long as they are both am or fm or what ever and have the correct crystals installed. The servo is liable to spaz when you plug it it with out the radio on cause it doesn't know what to do without a signal from the radio. It sounds like the receiver you have is no good. Epa's are end point adjustments most non rtr radio's will have epa's so you can set the travel of the servo as needed.

Really?? oh right, thats what an epa is, I don't think mine has that. I think you may be right though, I couldv'e just got a dodgy reveiver, I'll try buying another, thats 3 channel that should hopefully work for it.
Thanks for all the info here and help here :D

Just for the ending follow up, I did buy another transmitter and that one seems to be working perfectly, must of been a dodge one the first one I got, thanks everyone

Back