• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thoughts on HH TrailMaster BL in SCX10

jeepnvinny

Pebble Pounder
I am trying to decide on a motor for my SCX10 Dingo. I like to crawl, but it's also fun to speed around the yard too. My last motor was a Novak FortyFive (45t) motor, which seemed to be way to slow for my liking. I am thinking about mating my MMP with the HH TrailMaster BL, since Holmes has it reduced down to $45 +shipping. John mentioned on FB that the cans have screwy case art, which is not a big deal to me, but the rotors are the wrong diameter.

My is my question:

1. Would the HH TrailMaster BL be a good motor motor to crawl and speed around with on a (somewhat) tight budget?

If no, what motor would be good?

If yes, does the wrong rotor diameter size on the HH TrailMaster BL affect it's performance and thus, I need to revert back to my 'If no...' question?

If yes... and then no (lol), what pinion size should I use with the TrailMaster BL on a fairly heavy rig with RR 48p spur and internals trans gears, over and unders, and 1.9s on 2s-3s lipos.

Thanks for your help"thumbsup"

He didn't reduce the price of the BL, they sent him the wrong motors.
The 45.00 motors aren't the same as the 79.00 versions.
There are more differences than the rotor size.

You can gear the TM BL down for crawling with good wheel speed. Just have a handful of pinions ready for some testing. I have ran it in 8lbs ultra4's, 7lbs trail rigs and most recently an 8lbs 2.2 Class3 cralwer.

To cranks point, I have the discounted motor but haven't ran it yet.

So here is the difference... 12.5mm vs 14mm. What does this difference mean besides size? Less torque?

I also noticed the difference in sku#... "HH-TRM-BL-F" for the 45 version. Does the "F" stand for FAIL? LOL

The motor tabs are different and
here could be magnet and case differences too.

The small rotor does make less torque, but startup is smoother. Geared down slow they drive very well, the only downfall is low drag brake strength.

Its a great motor, and only priced so low because it had the wrong rotor specs and funny case art.

The small rotor does make less torque, but startup is smoother. Geared down slow they drive very well, the only downfall is low drag brake strength.

Its a great motor, and only priced so low because it had the wrong rotor specs and funny case art.
Thanks for the follow up. This is the reason why people say you have great costumer service. I ended up getting a smokin' deal on a Pro4 3300kv. If it ends up not being the right motor for my Scx10 Dingo, I think I'll have to order a CrawlMaster Pro 11t - 13 as that was my first choice.

(Now to find the right 5mm 48p pinion to match my RR Slipper Unit 88T Spur:)

Did you get a chance to run yours yet?

Had a chance to really put this motor through it's paces today.
Ran a complete 5000mah 3s pack and a little of a 1200mah 2s (to get me back to the truck).
I could not be happier, temps never climbed over 100 degrees (70 degree day, mmp, 88/16 gearing, 1.9 growlers.)

Ultra low speed is incredible even though I don't use that very often.:lmao:
Tons of torque and high speed on tap also.
Super impressed all around."thumbsup"

Back