• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Those who do their own scale accessories

pike2350

Pebble Pounder
Maybe this should be "What tools do you have/use for your scale stuff"

How do some of you do such detailed work on such a small scale? I know most have found odd uses for everyday items (hair elastics for bungee cords, etc) but I mean, the small details?

The reason I ask, I have tried my hand at 2 scale accessories so far..both have been out of styrene. 1st was an axe...while it turned out pretty good, it's not exactly scale....close, but not 100%, but good enough. 2nd was a tool box. I made one of those large, but portable 3 drawer toolboxes. I think it turned out pretty good. However, I struggled with the handle on top. Then, I tried to make the latches for the front...and well, those didn't come out great.

I'm just curious how do some of you get such amazing detail on some of the smallest parts?

I was using a brand new Xacto blade and was cutting ok...but I just can't get the enough detail on the latches...instead I just did a shape and painted them a silvery color.

While I'm happy with the toolbox I am just in awe at some of the stuff I see...and want to be able to do that.

So, I guess, if anyone has input/advice I'd love to hear it.

I know these aren't really 'tools,' but for small metal pieces like hooks or handles it seems like a lot of people use paper clips. Which are easy to bend and cut. And you can get cute colored ones too :D !

Partial joke cuz I know 99% of ppl here wouldn't care lol, but I actually am a girl! SO THERE! :ror:

owned lol . checkout utrcrc.freeforums.org we have a scale event going on this saturday in Elberta. Come by and check it out.

I use Ben Franklin Crafts. They have an amazing amount of things and tools for details if you think outside the box.

Some of the basic ones would be, a set of needle files (jewelers files) a set of Exacto micro saw blades and a pin vise with a few micro drill bits. I got hold of a bunch of micro bits with different shapes and sizes from a buddy who works as a dental tech, they fit in my Dremel and the pin vise, and a bunch of different emery boards also come in handy, you can cut them to size or bend them to fit in small spaces.

I made a steel axe and a shovel and though they came out ok it's a learning experience. In my experience build a few of each item you wish to make because each one you will learn from and pick the best one..

Back