• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

The right kit for Trails + Crawling?

Daniserrano

Hi there, first post here after weeks and weeks reading in the forum and searching as much as I can.

I'm not new to the hobby and I've built some kits before, I have two TRX4 Sport kits for trails with rocks and some crawling, and I'm looking for a new kit to build and customise.

As I live in Europe, prices are just nuts after taxes, so the choices come as follows:

- Axial SCX10.III kit........... 340€
- Element Enduro kit v2.... 280€
- Vanquish Phoenix kit..... 560€

As you can see the Vanquish is out of the equation because even if I know they are the best of the best, 560 for a kit it's not gonna happen.

For the Axial SCX10 III I already have the kit to ditch the bulky transmission and fit a 3 gear transmission from an SCX10 II (I have all the parts). So it would be an SCX10 III with portals, the beefy links and the Jeep body but with the simpler lighter 3 gears transmission[/B].

For the Element it would be the builders kit 2 with the Factory upgraded links, bronze shocks, stealthX transmission and all the included goodies in the box, plus any cool body I can source over here.

What's your choice and why??
Help me decide!!!

Thanks in advance

Element Gate Keeper kit with Etco body on it. I really like it on the trails. Performs great.

SCX 10.3 I didn't pick up. Main reason no real difference in the 2 Spd trans. 3 gear would be better.

Gmade Buffalo Military kit. I ditched the heavy body and put the battery behind the trans. Put a lil softer shock springs on it. If I were to do it again I'd get sealed a bearing kit.
2 Spd trans has a definite difference between 1st and 2nd gear. Still dialing it in. I like it and it's performing well. I wanted something different from everybody else here on the trails.

I prefer Axial. I just like their designs better. However, Traxxas would be my 2nd choice. You can get the scx10II Raw Builder's Kit, if you are trying to customize which will also cost less. If you don't care about your rig being scale, then the front centered pumpkin of the scX10II shouldn't be a deal breaker. Or, you can get the scx10III JLU kit, that comes with portals. If you do care about being more scale, then Axial offers a separate standard axle kit that converts your portals to a more realistic running crawler, thus far. Unless, in the future, 1:1 scale copies the RC world, and run portals

Gmade Buffalo Military kit. I ditched the heavy body and put the battery behind the trans. Put a lil softer shock springs on it. If I were to do it again I'd get sealed a bearing kit.
2 Spd trans has a definite difference between 1st and 2nd gear. Still dialing it in. I like it and it's performing well. I wanted something different from everybody else here on the trails.

Another vote for Gmade, they're nice kits. In the US they're good value for money compared to the big brands too, OP should check to see what prices would like be ordering direct from Junfac.com.

Thanks! Well a Gmade Buffalo kit can be found here for 360-380 bucks. It's hard to digest, but the main issue setting me back is that upgrades, spares and stuff is not easy to get here, as it would be for an Element or Axial.

I was expecting way more love for the Element builders kit to be honest!

Thanks! Well a Gmade Buffalo kit can be found here for 360-380 bucks. It's hard to digest, but the main issue setting me back is that upgrades, spares and stuff is not easy to get here, as it would be for an Element or Axial.

I was expecting way more love for the Element builders kit to be honest!

You won't be sorry with any of the kits discussed here. I suggest the most practical choice based on what's readily available to you.

You won't be sorry with any of the kits discussed here. I suggest the most practical choice based on what's readily available to you.

Thanks, I'm learning more and more about the Axial and the Element and I like them more and more.

While the Element I see it as a greater upgraded scx10 II with tons of good stuff, the SCX10 III has its weaknesses covered by the mentioned swap to 3 gear transmission.

Leaning towards the Element I guess...

Thanks, I'm learning more and more about the Axial and the Element and I like them more and more.

While the Element I see it as a greater upgraded scx10 II with tons of good stuff, the SCX10 III has its weaknesses covered by the mentioned swap to 3 gear transmission.

Leaning towards the Element I guess...

Nothing wrong with the element, and if you don’t have a straight axle rig, I would definitely recommend getting one.

Personally I like the body and chassis of the 10.3 better, but I don’t care for the stock transmission.

Can’t go wrong really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here lately my favorite is the Element Enduros, specifically my Gatekeeper kit turned Ecto. I know the Element axles sometimes get a bad rap, but I myself have not had any issues. Great rigs for the money and great out of the box!

My Vanquish VS4-10 rigs have always been at the top of my fav list as well. My Origin and PRO are excellent kits to build and drive. They were at a higher price point, but well worth the money.

Now with the release of the Vanquish Phoenix RTR, it is hard to beat for the money. My Phoenix Portal kit stock out of the box was shocking good and very capable on its first drive. The only mod it really needs IMO is the brass portal weights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just dropping in to say that as person that builds kits, as well as rigs from semi-scratch, I hate the 10.3 in all of it's forms and flavors. The front end geometry alone is enough to foster a deep and unabiding hate-- throw in single-shear panhard mounts at both ends and it's just... ugh. Also, the gearbox from the JLU is truly atrocious.

Always loved my Element Sendero but these days I even enjoy my Ecto more..."thumbsup"

I know that everyone seems to think the trailing arm suspension is a questionable choice compared to the shorter standard Element wheelbase vehicles, but I like driving "around" its supposed limitations.

I haven't even started installing upgrades yet - I bought a slew of them right as I picked up the truck, but am cruising around with only different wheels and tires for now, since I have many to try out.

(BTW - speaking of axles - RC4WD came out with TEQ aluminum axles for the Element/SCX10.II a while back, and during one of their sales they had a special when front and rear were purchased together - less than $140 total - I may be installing them on my Sendero someday down the road, mainly just for the round differential housing look. It will likely get a more scale body and be driven more slowly afterwards! The stock axles will then be used with my GreenMountainRC Machete flat rail chassis...;-) )

Last edited:
Back