• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Textured paint?

airgunner

I have 2 upcoming projects that will need a texturizer paint.

1st one is painting a truck bed to look like it has a spray in bed liner?

2nd is painting the cap on a K5 Blazer? If you look at the 1:1's, the are not smooth and have a texture to them.

I've seen both (bed and cap) done (and done well) but never any explanation as to how they pulled off the look? Any advice is appreciated!

Yes on the Rustoleum. The cab and fender flares have the Rustoleum sprayed on them. Gives it a rough texture.

673757d9b079f9800cafba37aea02d14.jpg

1389c32d4f43e9fa9fb1c03ca1457318.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. I would have thought 1:1 bed liner would be too course on a 1/10 or smaller scale but I guess not. Proof is in the pics. Thanks!

Interesting. I would have thought 1:1 bed liner would be too course on a 1/10 or smaller scale but I guess not. Proof is in the pics. Thanks!

I thought this wasn't going to work out well either, and a friend insisted I try it.

Honestly, I should have thought more than 2 seconds on it. The particles in the coating need to fly through a spray can nozzle. So yea, it's going to be a much more fine texture than a professional spray on or roll on liner.

Take your time, tape off well (don't sweat the small little drips or runs, in the first 2 days of drying they're really soft and you can peel/flake it right off with a finger nail.

It'll come out way better than you suspect, so go for it!

Photo taken 2 hours after shooting, so it still looks glossy.
Link for larger view: https://i.imgur.com/RrEqN67.jpg
RrEqN67l.jpg

Last edited:
I bought some of that stuff but haven't used it yet. Thanks BMow for the confirmation.

A technique that has worked for me, is to spray from a distance. By spraying light coats, the particles partially dry on the way to the area, adding some texture to it. I did this on my TRX4 Blazer body and I think it came out great. "thumbsup"

Back