• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Tekin 5 slot Crawler brushed motor - Opinions?

xagoras

Quarry Creeper
Hi guys. My HH Crawlmaster 550 Sport is going to need retirement soon, so I'm thinking of alternatives. I'm happy with it's performance (Maybe not so much from the drag brake), but I'm looking at other options as well and since my LHS doesn't have HH products, they proposed the Tekin 5 Slot Crawler Brushed motor.

I have zero experience with rebuildable motors or Tekin, so what do you think, is it any good? Worth to try? I can get it around $60 and the Crawlmaster will cost me around $30 if I can find it in Europe

https://www.teamtekin.com/5slotbrushed.html#top

Last edited:
Just my opnion, but I wouldn't recommend replacing a 550 with a 540.

Tekin makes great motors, and has for a very long time, but so far as I know they don't make a brushed 550, so I'd look at another brand.

What motor do you have now? Gear down and volt up for more drag brake. Holmes works on 4s.

Lower turn motors have more drag brake.

Faster motors work better. Gearing down a faster motor makes it exponentially better.

More voltage and gear down is a better upgrade then a different motor hands down unless you go brushless.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What motor do you have now? Gear down and volt up for more drag brake. Holmes works on 4s.

Lower turn motors have more drag brake.

Faster motors work better. Gearing down a faster motor makes it exponentially better.

More voltage and gear down is a better upgrade then a different motor hands down unless you go brushless.

Now I'm running a HH Crawlmaster Sport 550 13T on 3S and 9t pinion. Drag brake is not that bad, but there are situation that I'm just not confident it will hold if I let go the reverse. Unfortunately I don't have any 4S atm, or the budget to get them.

I'm satisfied with how the HH has coped with the rig so far, but I feel that because it's on the heavy side, it might need something with a better drag brake.

A Trailmaster Sport will have better drag and more punch, but won't be as smooth.
Also, a buddy crawls with very weak drag brake (intentionally) - just use the throttle to hold your position.

Now I'm running a HH Crawlmaster Sport 550 13T on 3S and 9t pinion. Drag brake is not that bad, but there are situation that I'm just not confident it will hold if I let go the reverse. Unfortunately I don't have any 4S atm, or the budget to get them.

I'm satisfied with how the HH has coped with the rig so far, but I feel that because it's on the heavy side, it might need something with a better drag brake.
Yep that's a high turn 550 so it will have a weaker drag brake. Also 5 slot motors have weaker drag brakes then 3slot motors. More expensive motors with stronger magnets will also have better drag brakes.

You can get a 21t 3slot trailmaster sport 550 and a larger spur, they make 8t pinions. Or I use 9t 48p pinions and 87t to 92t 48p spur gears.

The gear reduction more then makes up for the slot count for startup smoothness and you will end up with much more torque and power. Even on the same voltage.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Back