• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Tbrown's I-Beam XJ

Tbrown

Rock Stacker
Well hello!
It's been awhile since I've really been hard into the hobby. I recently picked it back up, and I think I did right at the perfect time! There is so many cool products out there now! However, I will always be an axial fan, as you will soon see.
When Pro-Line announced the I-beam kit, I knew I had to have it. It took me back to when I first got my Slash, and tried so hard to make it like a pre-runner/trophy truck. So, I placed a pre-order, and when I got back into the country, it was there waiting for me!
So. Let's start the build

Here is what we are starting with

So, I found a deal on a few busted RCs for $100. In the lot was a perfectly fine SCX10ii. I fixed all the other rigs, and sold them off. Putting me up $350 and a free SCX10II, I fixed it up and had some fun with it for awhile. I was about to sell it, then I saw this I-Beam Kit and knew I had to save it! So, I stripped it down, cleaned it up, and get ready for the build.

Last edited:
Can't wait to see it come together! I need to get myself one of these kits and add it to the seemingly endless project list.

Gathering Parts

I decided that I really wanted to make this feel like a full on build/kit. Not just an upgrade. I started to do as much research as possible, from sourcing an open diff, rear sway bar, and the transmission.
After some digging, I decided to us an element enduro sway bar, and track down the kit transmission for the SCX10II, that way I can utilize the optional two speed. Diff wise, I found the RC4wd dana 44 has an optional diff (I am telling you now, don't use it).

Wheels and Tires

Now that the drivetrain is established, I had to pick out wheels and tires. Now, I had recently re-done the SCX10 that got me into the hobby. So, I had a set of the OG Proline faultlines on the shelf, as well as the RC4WD Atturo trails MTS. With a set of used, 4.75 dual stage inserts. These were paired up, and cleaned up. Now we have the wheel and tire combo!

Body

This was an easy choice. Several years ago, a good friend of mine painted up a body that looked like my 1:1 XJ. Now, this was right when I was getting out of the hobby. So, it sat collecting dust. I knew right then and there, when this kit dropped, What body I was using.

Issa Kit

Finally, I broke down my free SCX10II ditched what I wasn't using, deep cleaned it, and touched up the frame paint. The parts have been sourced, wheels and tires picked, Body chosen, and electronics all found. Now, we just need the box! Oddly enough, I kept the box from my original SCX10 kit from 2013. So, there we go
I think we've got ourselves a kit! All that's left is to build it, but, that had to wait, as I had a work trip to take.

Last edited:
It's Time.

After I got back from my work trip (this ended with me brining home a brand new wraith spawn kit so. there's that) I began to work!
I won't post all the shots, but I'll show what all I did. I chose to run a Novak XBR sport and a 17.5t sensored brushless system (it was in my box of things from way back). It was essentially brand new, and I figured that 2s and a two speed paired to it should be fun.

Right off the bat, I built the transmission, and tried to get the battery tray in. Unfortunately, because of the transmission being further back, I ran into fitment issues. I did resolve this issue with a rear mount battery tray from amazon.

I-BEAMS!

Once the trans was together, framer rails attached, I started on the I-BEAMS! I had so much fun assembling this kit. It took me back to when I was a kid, watching R/C sparks tough truck challenges on youtube. The kit was really easy to put together!

So, the front is together! Then I started the rear. Now, full disclaimer for those using the RC4WD Dana 44 with optional rear diff. I had HORRIBLE issues with the open diff. So horrible, that I am not even going to give it credit and skip to the solution.

Last edited:
Rear Trailing Arms and RC4WD

Now, I have owned alot of RC4WD products over the years, and I have always thought they were spot on! However, this open diff kit for the DANA 44 they sell, is terrible. I'll go as far to say. The whole axle is terrible, The diff itself never sat right inside the housing. Maybe I just got a bad setup, but holy crap. after a week of messing with it I gave up....
Anyway, I started on the rear end. I ran into some fitment issues of the battery tray with using the kit transmission. I ended up running the factory rear cross brace, and mounted up a batter plate from amazon. For mock up, I ran the plastic body shock, but eventually switched to 100mm Axial shocks I had laying around. I did get a super cheap set of 100mm shocks off ebay to run as the secondary shock. I also used a set of cheapo aluminum shock towers for the rear.

Sway Bar

For the rear sway bar, I found an element enduro sway bar kit. The mounts fit up perfectly on the rear bumper mount. All I had to do is drill out the locating knub on the bumper mount. I ran two little spacers on each side of the bar to take up slack, and its worked really well!

Last edited:
The Hunt for the Holy Grail

Alright, I won't complain about the RC4WD Dana 44 anymore. If you looked at my old SCX10, I had a set of dana 60 housings from SSD. These used the standard SCX10 diff, and the add ons. The only problem, is I sold them when I revamped the old SCX10.... After some searching on the internet, and reaching out to the buyer, they exchanged hands 3 times. I finally found them!
They looked as beautiful as the day I lost them...

I decided to overdrive(?) the axle, in hopes to get a bit more top end out of it. I found NOS rear lockouts, and I'd like to find a aluminum 4 link mount at some point, This way, I can set up the front as a spare. Also, I tracked down a few sets of SMT10 diff gears, swapped out the locker, installed diff gears, back together. It is now buttery smooth, with no binding issues like before.

Front is done, rear is done, so that means?

Alright, the chassis is completely together! I put on the bumpers, mounted the body, and man it looks good! The body is from a really good friend, and he painted it years ago to match my 1:1! Mounted a cheap amazon light bar, and threw in a cheaper interior as well. There is some other small odds and ends I've done since this photo, but they aren't really notable.

What's next?

Next on the hit list is getting electronics setup! I stated earlier that I found a Novak XBR sport system on my shelf, with a 13.5t and a 17.t sensored motor setup. After some thought, I decided to run the 17.5t with a 2S lipo. The two speed should help make it fun, but manageable!
I learned earlier in the hobby about MG chemicals waterproof coating for electronics. While this rig is 2wd, and I don't plan on submerging it, I figured I would do it just to be safe!
Once the ESC is dry and back together, I should have it all wired up this evening!

Also, photo of my 1:1 for reference:

God help me, I got a race car

Well, here we go! I got it together enough to have a test run, and man this thing is AWESOME! Electronics mounted, BEC setup, the open diff worked great too! I wired up warm LEDs for headlights, and the light bar is bright as crap! I am running them all off of a 9v battery. I'll get an under the hood photo at some point when I run it again tomorrow!

Look at that vintage ESC! I love Novak for brushed stuff and still sad that they are gone.

Awesome looking build! Any plans to share running video?

Nice! I dont even like prerunners or go fast stuff but want to build something with the Beams.

First off

I just want to say, If you were on the fence of getting this kit, DO IT! I took mine out for it's first real rip today, and holy cow was it a blast! The open diff preformed flawlessly, all the electronics were nice and cool, the suspension cycled great, and it just handled well!

I did have one of the cheapo shocks I used as a secondary come un threaded, but that's the only issue I had! Jump after jump, rough terrain, it just cruised. The second gear worked great, and made a HUGE difference, it was a blast to slide around a turn in first, then punch it , with a shift into second and watch it cook.

This has been such a fun build, and such a fun rig to run. This is what I got into the hobby for, and man have I missed it.

Last edited:
Look at that vintage ESC! I love Novak for brushed stuff and still sad that they are gone.

Awesome looking build! Any plans to share running video?

I didn't know Novak is gone now! I used SO many of there setups back in the day! I even had a novak rooster crawler ESC on my SCX10 up until a few months ago!

I posted a running video over on my new instagram: @bhtrailsrc
This will be where I post the videos I did get of it!

Back