• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

stripped screw and flat leafs

protusmike

Just received my new TF2 kit and got the chassis built up. First thing I notice is that the leaf springs seem kinda flat. The shocks are full compressed on the front and not much better in the rear. Can the leaf springs be bent to give more lift?

Nuther thing, when I took the chassis out for a short test run, the front right steering knuckle wobbled. Upon inspection I fount the top knuckle to the axle screw very loose. Attempted to tighten and found the threads stripped. Since the axles come assembled seems someong strong-armed this one and bunged the threads in the axle.

Anyone else have stripped screws and flat springs on a new kit? What's a guy to do?

Here's an update. Tried some 'real' M3 screws and sure nuff the tapped hole int he axle is stripped. Fortunatly I have friends who have access to heli-coil thread repair inserts and tools. 2 minutes and the repair was made.

The leafs are still kinda flat and the shocks are bottomed out when everything is installed. Was able bend more curve in the leafs to help but not sure how far I can take this 'bending' before the leaf breakes. Maybe go to the super soft red leafs?

Last edited:
I had 2 loose screws on my knuckles as well but luckily they weren't stripped out. I also had to use different hardware to mount the leafs to the front axle cause the holes were stripped on the axle. I would contact rc4wd an see it they can help you out at all.

I actually had what I thought was a stripped screw that held the leaf spring onto the axle. I took the axle back to the hobby shop. We used a different M3*8 screw and it screwed in snug. We used a caliper on the RC4WD screw and it measured at 2.84mm. We measure a Traxxas M3*8 and it measured at 2.98mm. I don't know if that helps, but it may be worth trying a different brand of hardware.

@Iron man that's amazing 3mm screws that aren't. their hex heads suffer from the same sort of measuring.

I would love to say make them stand behind their product, but they will probably just send you more junky screws. you will probably be far better off to throw all the screws in the garbage..... yes all of them. and order some real screws from a company that sells screws that are a real size. also I found that when I used more than the main leaf the screws holding them on were too short so after losing a set of helpers I used a button head 14mm I think. I ran it in to the axle from the bottom and used a lock nut on top to hold the leafs. Much more secure.

That's how I bolted my leafs to the axles from the start, I could see right off what a horrible idea it was going to be otherwise. The u-bolt kit would be ideal but in all honesty I'm doing a bunch of tuning right now and they'd be a pain to take apart and put back together constantly.

Back