• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

SSD-RC 2-speed transmission mini-review

tuanies

Quarry Creeper
So I got an SCX10 II last week and spent most of the week building it. My first RC car was a SCX10 G6 Falken RTR that I got last June and installed a few minor upgrades. That car is going to my 5-year old daughter and the SCX10 II is my new toy.

Since the transmission was 2-speed ready, I couldn't help but order the SSD-RC 2-speed conversion kit, as well as the transfer case gears. This was my first kit build, but the installation wasn't too bad. I had to open the transmission 3 times because I kept forgetting to install something or something fell out.

The SSD-RC instructions are ok, but they could use some better pictures for a newbie like me. Nevertheless, everything was installed and I finally took the car outside for a quick run today.

My impressions on the 2-speed kit are good. It works as advertised, you have the regular low-gear for crawling and the high gear makes it haul ass. I feel the high gear makes it as fast as my SCX10 with a 3S battery, but with only the 2S.

This is the first time I've had a 2-speed transmission so I still find it cool to be able to change gears.

Overall, I'm happy with it. It doesn't change anything while crawling, but the straightaways are a lot quicker.

I made a little video of it here

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/75UWfQvCsco" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Second video

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6q7iLq1nXjg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Info on the rig -
  • Holmes Torquemaster Expert 35T motor
  • Axial AE-5 ESC
  • Spektrum DX4S with SR410
  • Align DS615 steering servo
  • Some cheap Savox waterproof servo for the transmission
  • Stock everything else

Pic

cXLZOOCqcpF2twUTsH1HAGsVYeTcd48KHKMZTLhrPIWENEacGMBjCQ_vHu-5Mi-ks6PPRZOPZWi2o4QrGAgjepOUao2zIb7PZvv4bCk8gwpnsGX8aCCsgmIZkYOfyKjdGlaJ88yP65pBTMCPR1nl5xBfQhi7mIdqdij1XJ6wjcknXwrmXlnmoqEbvjWbEPgB0uMF1ctWE9fCyyFW0NfRzyzfzNohQBx5Rhe4YYOU65zkSNff80MsdaApIqL2-ta3OhyQiXOiMbkCzHLMJeJkgIRA_1pmqWpo6gaUE5vmJ9vYS09NJ17rHiCQ5eUQsPI3Oxte9T-2ygl0hzJthjEX2HytQCHyX4hsensofRWjETv-yZwxKRNNxZqv8VIuY0sRzta_W3oJEUdls_AgLd8KQJzxho5nuoM3TCXQUOkv5G1arp-8dHaBE0whW3Do_PRN5EtNBJza8zwGSkFZq9te7tb9aeI-hekM89uJh-WOs-2sIF-DjjfSAaIIQhW1XqNm92_WwrmL1DzUvZ3a3cix4ve0KArk4L5wcFcD8Ucpe-4XVmeWPO8uqXoUH1bUVIgpi78CQiG6vR-M5AVNXoL6ooHkAG2qKaTIWpv0o8Pos5YQjMu2Kg=w1309-h911-no

Next to my 1:1
iLhWsH1sPIb_WAZ3QruwSDcOQoonTJQxEtR4Nw5nWa-a30bBJCVaU0aG3OvMFAbDt0zz2MtS07E=w1432-h911-no

Last edited:
I've had a few to speed vehicles and I am also looking at getting this kit for mine

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Did some more testing today with the SCX10 II in high gear with a 2S battery (35T Holmes motor) and pit it against a stock SCX10 G6 Falken Edition RTR (27T Axial motor) with a 3S battery.

The high gear narrows the gap versus the 3S battery quite a bit. Its still a tad slower but worth the improvement. The high gear has good speed with a 3S battery too.

Now I really want to upgrade the motor and ESC to a Crawlmaster Pro 13T + Holmes BLE Pro.

Here's a quick video of some shenanigans with my 5-year old

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u8QqgnGXFkk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back