• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Spektrum Firma Brushed ESC/Receiver

svt923

I wanna be Dave
I guess these will soon be out there in the SCXIII RTRs that are coming but I picked one up a few weeks ago to check out.

Basically what we have here is an ESC with the power handling specs of an Axial RTR ESC with the programming options from a Hobbywing 1080 (except for adjustable BEC voltage) mashed together with a 4 channel Spektrum DSMR receiver and a couple of led powering outputs sprinkled in, all wrapped in a waterproof package.

8sKPw9Kl.jpg

Kinda neat, right?

The biggest upside is these things cost the same $45 as a standard 3 channel Spektrum receiver.

When I opened the box, I was expecting the whole thing to be smaller but it isn't too big considering it replaces 2 components.

Some comparison shots:

Axial RTR ESC
qS8isqtl.jpg

Mamba X
sjc2kBjl.jpg

Spektrum 3 channel receiver
N4MH20Sl.jpg

There is an official Dynamite programming card Spektrum says to use but any HW programming card will do. This is one you get with a 1080, all the adjustments listed on the card correspond to the settings on the Spektrum ESC as well. BEC voltage is still item #14 when you cycle through the options, you just can't change it on the Spektrum.

65iOeOsl.jpg

Spektrum touts telemetry capability with this setup but the followthrough on explaning what exactly it is capable of transmitting to the radio is lacking. I set up the ESC telemetry option on my DX5 Rugged and got some basic info rather easily.

IfVUMohl.jpg

I guess if you use a Spektrum battery you can get remaining battery capacity as a telemetry option but things get kinda vague in the detail from there. I replaced the stock 3 wire IC3 "smart connector" with a regular old dumb XT60 so I lost that extra Spektrum "smart" stuff anyway. The 3rd signal wire is just coiled up inside the case if I ever need it, there is plenty of room.

Preliminary inspections seem to indicate this will be a solid option for a brushed ESC if you are a Spektrum radio user. It is obviously not a high power or maximum performance option but it should find lots of use in casual trail trucks and retro brushed motor applications.

Last edited:
This looks like a fairly nice combo for the money.

I'm wondering if this would be a good replacement ESC/receiver for my mini SCX24. For about the same price as a receiver, I may just have to try one out!

This looks like a fairly nice combo for the money.

I'm wondering if this would be a good replacement ESC/receiver for my mini SCX24. For about the same price as a receiver, I may just have to try one out!

The Spektum unit is significantly bigger than the SCX24 electronics.

z6UQ1MGl.jpg

Don't think it would be an easy swap but probably could be done. Seems to fit nicely on the stock battery tray.

Very cool actually. $45 is a steal for an ESC and receiver all in one!

It is larger than I'd expect it to be, but for all in one and waterproof it's not too bad. What's it weigh compared to the Mamba X? I assume and hope it's lighter than the X.

Also, the non adjustable BEC is a big buzzkill for me. That's one of the reasons I love the 1080 so much. What's the BEC set at on this Spektrum unit?

Lastly, it's interesting the HobbyWing programming card works. So does that mean HobbyWing is handling the ESC part of it or is Horizon borrowing HobbyWing's firmware? It's definitely nice that the HW cards are compatible.

Non adjustable BEC makes sense ... what would be the point of using a HV servo combined with a 40A ESC ?
It's great it can be programmed with 1080 card, it makes it an advanced RTR 2-in-1 and it's a good introduction to adjustability for beginners ... but it's still aiming at RTR or basic trailing, nothing more.

This could be awesome for trail rigs.
Is this DSM2? If so I could bind with my DX3R.
"thumbsup"

EDIT: According to the manual, this unit is compatible with DSM2 and DSMR.

Last edited:
It is only 40A and weirdly enough the model number looks to be: spmxse1040rx
Looks a bit like a HobbyWing/XeRun type of chicom thing.
hmmm....

Last edited:
Very cool actually. $45 is a steal for an ESC and receiver all in one!

It is larger than I'd expect it to be, but for all in one and waterproof it's not too bad. What's it weigh compared to the Mamba X? I assume and hope it's lighter than the X.

Also, the non adjustable BEC is a big buzzkill for me. That's one of the reasons I love the 1080 so much. What's the BEC set at on this Spektrum unit?

Lastly, it's interesting the HobbyWing programming card works. So does that mean HobbyWing is handling the ESC part of it or is Horizon borrowing HobbyWing's firmware? It's definitely nice that the HW cards are compatible.

It feels lighter than the Mamba X, specs say it is about 1 oz lighter. My scale died so I don't have actual measurements.

An adjustable BEC would have been nice but 6V is a safe play for most servos and 3A of current isn't terrible. I soldered on a JST lead to hook up an external BEC or a direct power servo depending on what I ultimately install this in.

As for the Hobbywing connection, the other Spektrum ESCs state "Developed and designed by Spektrum engineers, in partnership with the industry's leading ESC manufacturer". Clearly Hobbywing is building these and using existing firmware has to be cheaper.

The Spektum unit is significantly bigger than the SCX24 electronics.

z6UQ1MGl.jpg

Don't think it would be an easy swap but probably could be done. Seems to fit nicely on the stock battery tray.

Oh, wow! Sitting next to the AE-6, is does look huge!

I think I’ll still get one to put in one of my trail trucks. It will be nice to be able to bind it to my DX5C.

Thanks for the comparison![emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...As for the Hobbywing connection, the other Spektrum ESCs state "Developed and designed by Spektrum engineers, in partnership with the industry's leading ESC manufacturer". Clearly Hobbywing is building these and using existing firmware has to be cheaper.

I wonder if it’s just a WP 1040 tied to a DSM2 rx?

Non adjustable BEC makes sense ... what would be the point of using a HV servo combined with a 40A ESC ?
It's great it can be programmed with 1080 card, it makes it an advanced RTR 2-in-1 and it's a good introduction to adjustability for beginners ... but it's still aiming at RTR or basic trailing, nothing more.

I take it you haven't tried the HobbyWing 1080. That's "only" 40A and it has a great, adjustable BEC.

3amps at 6 volts

Thanks! "thumbsup"

It feels lighter than the Mamba X, specs say it is about 1 oz lighter. My scale died so I don't have actual measurements.

An adjustable BEC would have been nice but 6V is a safe play for most servos and 3A of current isn't terrible. I soldered on a JST lead to hook up an external BEC or a direct power servo depending on what I ultimately install this in.

As for the Hobbywing connection, the other Spektrum ESCs state "Developed and designed by Spektrum engineers, in partnership with the industry's leading ESC manufacturer". Clearly Hobbywing is building these and using existing firmware has to be cheaper.

Thank you.

Good catch. Yeah that leading ESC manufacturer has to be HobbyWing.

Hey Jato, was this a typo?
I’m looking for an esc for my scx10 ii trail truck and was planning a wp1080.
I thought it was 80a. (Not that I think I need 80 amps anyway).

Correct. It is an 80A ESC. My mistake. Still, 40A is more than fine on most scalers and an adjustable BEC would still be a benefit IMO.

I just installed this combo 2n1 on my TRX4 sport. I coupled it with a Hackmoto 5 slot 20T 540 and a 3S 3200mah smart LiPo. From my rugged, it did display current to the motor. 6 amps at full throttle and the battery telemetry if proven helpful and I think it will, will eventually start to see my Lipo collection that I’m bad at maintaining switch over to smart lipos that I can program to discharge automatically to storage levels. This is now in my trail truck where I would have had a 1080, an SR515 and a whole bunch of extra wires. Setup was cake although I have not programmed it yet with my HW card. Default drag brake is 70% so I’d like to se what 100% looks like. I typically run lights, lightbars winches, and sometimes sound so it I can eliminate some wires and cleanup the chassis, I’m all for it. So far it looks solid but it’s hard to find any more info on it as a call to Horizon today didn’t give me much in the way of answers as the the tech I spoke with hasn’t even seen one yet.

I just installed this...From my rugged, it did display current to the motor...

This is good to hear.
I wanted to try one of these with our DX5 Rugged, too.

Anyone know if this will bind to DSM2 tx?
I've got an old DX3r, too (still my favorite radio).

Back