• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Spektrum 1300mAh lipo and Venom low voltage alarm fit in DX5 Rugged

DRED805

Rock Crawler
Just in case anyone is tired of buying AA's.

I cut the battery tray out and soldered in a JST plug a while back, so I could use Spektrum 1300mAh 5c receiver batteries. The transmitter doesn't turn off until it gets below 6v, which is problematic. After accidentally over-discharging a battery the second time, I bought the cheapest low voltage alarm on amain. With the plastic case popped off they both fit nicely. I just looked on amazon, and they have the same thing with heat shrink for $5, so I'd go that route. The alarm is stupid loud, too.

Attachments

• IMG_7760.jpg
    IMG_7760.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 507
I run those same alarms in my vehicles which don't have LVCs. And yes, they'll wake you up if your batteries hit LVC overnight while the alarm is plugged in.

i havent used AA batterys in 7 years once i found out i could get lipos cheaper than AAs it was a no brainer
i have a 450 mah battery thats the size of 1 aa battery perfict fit no need to mod the battery tray and the controlers are so much lighter

Last edited:
You can change the low voltage cutoff on the dx5c and the dx5pro. I don't have a rugged.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I didn't see an actual cutoff in the settings, but the highest I could set the alarm to is 6.0v... which is still too low.

I so need to do this. I've probably spent half the cost of the Rugid feeding it AA Batts over the last year. A fresh set doesn't even last a full 8 hours of hiking, always gotta remember spares.

How long does that 1300 last?

I so need to do this. I've probably spent half the cost of the Rugid feeding it AA Batts over the last year. A fresh set doesn't even last a full 8 hours of hiking, always gotta remember spares.

How long does that 1300 last?

I've never timed it... All day for sure. I always take an extra with me and I've never had to swap one out. Also never over-discharged one in a single day's use (5-6 hours usually). I'll guess that they last 8-10 hours.

Last edited:
I crawled for about 4.5 hours today. My battery checker says the spektrum 1300mah battery is at 46%. I'd say it's good for 8 hours max. That's plenty for me, though.

I modded my Rugged for a LiFe pack about 5 minutes after it was released. These Hobbyking packs are the same ones I use in a my Futaba and Radiolink radios so it was nice to not need a different size pack and the LiFe batteries don’t need an external alarm.

rGlcJvdl.jpg

I've been running a 2S on my DX5C for two years with no issues, other than I'm not buying AA's all the time!

Back