• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Slipper for SCX10? Is it necessary?

Reyhn

Hello!

I have a kit-built SCX10 but I'm not very familiar with the crawling scene, though. The SCX10 is constructed with an adjustable slipper clutch.

SSD has created the really nice looking scale transmission that I'm very interested in. However, looking at the installation instructions, it replaces the slipper clutch.

My concern is, should I be worried?

I have a limited understanding of the mechanics involved, so I'm not sure what impact removing the slipper has. Is there a risk of burning up the motor if the wheels cannot turn when the throttle is pressed?

There is pros and cons to both methods and you'll find both methods are fairly common.

I run a slipper but I keep it quite tight. I like to have it in place as sort of 'fuse' in the driveline. As long as it is kept fairly tight, it won't break free prematurely, but the theory is that it will break free before you twist driveshafts or strip gears (probably won't burn up the motor)..

I also have a couple rigs that don't have a slipper. For those ones I run plastic spur gears to create a fuse in the system.

As far as the SSD tranny, a lot of guys run without a slipper so it's completely doable. I would just be careful with throttle when she gets bound up...

Last edited:
Yeah, by all means runs you can run without a slipper. If its bound up bad, just pick it up. Basically if you are giving it throttle and its not going, it could hurt the motor.

There is pros and cons to both methods and you'll find both methods are fairly common.

I run a slipper but I keep it quite tight. I like to have it in place as sort of 'fuse' in the driveline. As long as it is kept fairly tight, it won't break free prematurely, but the theory is that it will break free before you twist driveshafts or strip gears (probably won't burn up the motor)..

I also have a couple rigs that don't have a slipper. For those ones I run plastic spur gears to create a fuse in the system.

As far as the SSD tranny, a lot of guys run without a slipper so it's completely doable. I would just be careful with throttle when she gets bound up...

This is the perfect answer! :) Exactly what I wanted to hear, and a detailed "why".

I appreciate your fuse-analogy. It's like using a sacrificial anode (is that the correct English translation) on a boat - you select a cheap and easily replacable part to take the punishment.

Slippers protect the weakest link in the drivetrain from damage. If you have built your rig to be strong the slipper serves no purpose what so ever. That said I do not own a slipper equipped rig and I do not break. :mrgreen:

Back