• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Shift GT3 vs NSDRC RS1

dmill78

Rock Stacker
Having a hard time deciding between these two servos for my VRD build. They seem to have similar specs and a $5.00 price difference. I was looking for reviews on them with actual testing done but can’t seem to find anything. Does anyone have personal testing numbers for either?

Haven't used the RS1...but, I have used other NSDRC servos, and they've all been outstanding.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

I have had nothing but perfect servos from NSDRC, 3x Rs800 2x RS700 6xRS500B 2xRS400 Winch. I can't speak to the Shift servos, but I imagine they are great too, but to me NSD is one of the best in the game. The RS1 with a BEC at 8.4v can move the tail end of a truck if the front stuck in the rocks or bend steering links and break knuckles.

Trying to learn...why would one choose NSDRC or Shift over something like Futaba or Tekin?

I can only figure it's a matter of price vs power. Looks like the top tekin option is around 40kg for around the price of stronger options from other vendors. Futaba has a ~700oz servo but its almost double the price of comparable servos from shifts, reefs, nsdrc, etc.

I also haven't really seen either market their stuff to crawlers like the smaller companies are doing.

just pointing out the fact that nether company makes there servos and there just copys of Holmes hobbies servos anyway
you can get the same servo for less from the manufacturer
however you won't get any kind of customer service from the manufacturer and your on your own if something goes wrong

I don't think the futaba or tekin have direct power servo options I personally would rather use a direct power servo than a bec through the receiver and all that

another thing too brands like Holmes hobbies reef 3bros ndsrc shift are at the local rc events supporting there products you can talk to them see what they have and there out crawling with every one else on the trails
I've never seen futaba supporting any local event and tekin doesn't seem to into the crawler scene
John Holmes fixed my friends futaba radio at a event one year just cause he's such a nice guy so if I'm gonna drop some big cash it's on his stuff cause he's there for us I don't have that opportunity alot but I do run as much of his stuff as I can afford

Last edited:
dang yo you sure picked a bad time to take a break the hobby has grown so much

from motors to controllers to servos even chassies have come a long way since you have been gone

That makes getting back in all the more exciting though.

Good point about Holmes. I forgot about he made servos and I even have one in one of my vehicles at home. No idea which one though!

Ferp hit it right in the nail. I have many Holmes and nsdrc servos and I plan to pick more when the time comes. Both have outstanding costumer service and support events. I have had really good luck with nsdrc which are local to me and they have warrantied me servos and service without many questions. (servo had a hard time center itself they fixed it and sent it out no questions asked) As for holmes i have many electronics from them and yet one to fail.

Another Great option is the Blue Bird BLS-H51B I have one in my Ryft as it was suggest as the most durable geared servo available by a couple people. Its Current tally is 5 servo horns and 1 tie rod destroyed and still zero play in the gearbox, Its also stupid powerful all for about $115. The only issue is its not waterproof like the NSD Servos.

Ferp hit it right in the nail. I have many Holmes and nsdrc servos and I plan to pick more when the time comes. Both have outstanding costumer service and support events. I have had really good luck with nsdrc which are local to me and they have warrantied me servos and service without many questions. (servo had a hard time center itself they fixed it and sent it out no questions asked) As for holmes i have many electronics from them and yet one to fail.

I made a comment on FB in response to a similar thread. NSDRC responded quickly to me and stated that their servos are proprietary not copies and he was happy to answer any questions. That's customer service which is always important.

not exact copys no but still a clone but made to ndsrc specs or whoevers specs none of these existed before John released his then jx stole his design from the manufacturer after that it was on every body had there own clone then came the clone wars lol but we got some great servos out of the deal

I made a comment on FB in response to a similar thread. NSDRC responded quickly to me and stated that their servos are proprietary not copies and he was happy to answer any questions. That's customer service which is always important.

Another reason why I now mostly run NSDRC servos in my rigs. I've had great luck with mine and Mark is always there to answer questions.

I've never ran Shift servos but have some friends with them and they are happy. The only NSDRC steering servo I have ran was an RS700V2. It stalled out on me constantly and burned up after less than 20 minutes of total run time. Tried it on one truck for 2 courses on 3s, then stuck it on a lighter truck with 4s and it lasted about 5 minutes. Its getting sent off today for warranty but I guess we'll see how it goes. Holmes servos have been great for me.

That makes getting back in all the more exciting though.

Good point about Holmes. I forgot about he made servos and I even have one in one of my vehicles at home. No idea which one though!

Remember when you were a baller if you had a 7950 Hitec? I'm getting back in to it also, and building a sporty rig. I just installed a Shift GT3....I've heard nothing but good things and looking at the specs, they seem pretty impressive.

Back