• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Servo Winch and ESC Controller Questions

nightcrawler48

Quarry Creeper
Don't usually have issues doing electrical stuff but this is my first time doing a servo winch and have a few questions.

First, I have cheap ($10) ESC (20A) to use as the winch controller. The ESC came with a 2-wire JST plug on the "motor" leads and that will connect to the winch motor. No problem there. Soldered a matching connector to the winch servo motor and that is now connected.

I have an old Horizon Hobby 625WP servo. I gutted the electronics and soldered a JST connector directly to the motor which connects to the "motor" leads on the winch controller ESC. Battery will be a 7 cell NiMh (max 9.6V) and I'm wondering how the motor will stand up to that voltage. Am I right in assuming 5V/6V servos are restricted by the electronics, not the motor?

The connection from the winch control ESC to a battery is the same JST plug as used to connect to the motor. I already have a Futaba 3-wire servo connector soldered to the main ESC battery input connector and I'm wondering if I change the winch control ESC JST connector to a Futaba servo connector, will the Futaba connector handle the current draw?

The throttle control/receiver connector from the winch controller ESC plugs in to the spare receiver channel with the red wire (+) disconnected.

I have bench tested the setup and it does work. My main concern is, will it all survive over the long term?

Back