• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

scx10 transmission/axles

dirtslow

Rock Stacker
Hi all, I am starting backup in the hobby after a very long absence. I found in my parts bin the original scx10 transmission and axles I got used back in 2012ish... are they still relevant today? What should I be looking for from compatibility perspective on skid/chassis and links? I recall axle housing for front and rear are the same with just the hubs being different I think. I don't see rear truss(is that what it is called?) where the rear links would mount to axle like current rear axles nor do I see how to mount the servo on the front axle

any help/info appreciated.

Replacement parts , and upgrades for the og scx10 axles are drying up. Do you have any pictures? The 3 gear trans is still a go to to this day.
Axle truss(es), and the servo on axle mounts are still available.

I do not. these are literally OG axles and transmission. 'modern' axles like the vanquish f10s are super $$ so I was thinking I can use what I have to tinker. I also have one extra part tree for the axle housing and one gear. If I don't have OD and I can't get gears for the axle, then I will have to move on to modern ones. as for rear truss will this one fit? vps04441 as well as servo mount vps04451?

so the transmission is OK even for today, cool.

thanks

Yes, both of the parts you listed are what youre looking for. The 3 gear trans may need the steel internal gears (about $13 on aliexpress) for it to be durable enough for the stock axle shafts.

As Gula said, the OG SCX10 parts are drying up and, as a result, they are becoming somewhat desirable. I am not sure the transmission would be of any value because it has been copied so much, but you definitely have options if you want to use it. What is your plan?

You can even put the transmission in an SCX10 III using the adapter below.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/bowhou...ar-transmission-adapter-bwh-bsx-0080/p1273726

the ring an pinion gears are the same as the ar60 and are still available open diff or locked diff
the front axle shafts are garbage so you should do the narrow xr mod and use wraith knuckles chubs and axle shafts you need 2 long side shafts if I remember right then cut them down
but it's worth the trouble to not have to track down og axle shaft that bearly even hold up stock on 2s
the 3 gear is everywhere you can replace the hole transmission for under $20 and they come with the metal gears already installed

The newer style axles from the SCX10 II on up are better in pretty much every way. The ring and pinion is smaller so you get more ground clearance, most have universals so better steering, more gear reduction so less torque twist.

The transmission is still used by many people but hopefully yours has been upgraded to at least have a steel idler gear, otherwise that butter soft plastic one will die in short order. Most aftermarket manufacturers have moved on and no longer offer parts for the axles so finding replacement parts or upgrades might be more challenging than it was 10 years ago. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there with parts bins full of old take off parts that would be willing to help you get them finished though.

Just my opinion based off you only having a set of incomplete axles and a transmission...unless you just want to build on those axles for old time sake, I'd be looking for a newer used rig to run.

first thanks all. I appreciate all the help and info. I don't have plans nor attachment to these. They are just what I had found and I thought I would ask to see if these are a good starting point. My experience is literally the wraith kit back in 2012 and a short course truck kit of same era so not much at all. I have a thread in the vanquish sub asking about phoenix / vrd carbon portal kit(I enjoy building)... basically I am looking for most bang for the buck way for a 'comp' rig that can trail OK. My wraith was ok as a trailer but can't crawl. I also now want something different. I will either build from parts or from a kit. Youtube makes either look so simple... but knowing my luck, non of my stuff will be compatible hence me asking here. I am not a scale person nor do I comp. I don't do well with too many cars(too many choices)... I would like a single(if I can keep it at just one) capable rig I would use all the time that doesn't cost me hundreds to build. I hope I make sense

Back