• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

SCX10 II Build

Winger27

New to the rock crawler community. I do have experience in rc cars and trucks so I know the basics. My son bought me a SCX 10 II raw builders kit for my birthday. I don't think I'll have any problem assembling it but I need to know what I need to do it right. Upgrades to the build would be helpful, shocks, settings, wheelbase etc. I know I'll need plenty of other stuff once completed. I would like quality equipment. Thanks in advance

I am relatively new to this as well and have almost finished the kit version of the SCX 10 ii. I am a little short on free time so I still need to install the electronics. I got a lot of help on here in narrowing down my choices and went with the hobby wing 1080 ESC, Holmes Hobbies shv500 V3 servo and Holmes Hobbies crawl master sport 550 13 turn motor. I have a similar set up in another rig and I like it a lot. The only difference with that truck is that I used a power hobby servo because I couldn’t find a second SHV 500 V3 at the time although now they seem to be back in stock.

Otherwise, I put the kit together stock and figured I would replace and upgrade stuff as needed. The only issue I encountered was with the transmission. I’m not sure if the instructions in the raw builders kit are the same (I believe it has a different transmission) but the instructions with my kit were incorrect or at a minimum misleading. I fussed with it for a day and then watched the video and figured it out. I also put on Chinese beadlocks from Amazon and proline Hyrax tires.

Have fun, I thought it was a great build.

I wouldn’t start upgrading until you figure out what it can’t do. A lot of upgrades in this forum are done by guys that crawl blindfolded and benefit from the extra spending but I think you could go pretty far before hitting that wall. If anything look at tire foam combinations, probably pound for pound the best upgrade. Then replace/change as you grow into the truck. The benefit of this approach is you can establish a performance baseline and it’s not all in your head at that point, you can really feel and appreciate the tweaks.

+1 on the HH crawl master, I really like mine. I run a cheap esc and Amazon 20kg servo and they work just fine.

I wouldn’t start upgrading until you figure out what it can’t do. A lot of upgrades in this forum are done by guys that crawl blindfolded and benefit from the extra spending but I think you could go pretty far before hitting that wall. If anything look at tire foam combinations, probably pound for pound the best upgrade. Then replace/change as you grow into the truck. The benefit of this approach is you can establish a performance baseline and it’s not all in your head at that point, you can really feel and appreciate the tweaks.

+1 on the HH crawl master, I really like mine. I run a cheap esc and Amazon 20kg servo and they work just fine.

Absolute +1 on what Phildirt says about the upgrades.

100% spot on.

Learn your vehicle and then go from there.

Welcome to the crawling side of things. The others are right, build it and run it. Than see what upgrades you want to do and need. But I say this as I'm very slowing building my raw kit and have upgrades sitting there ready to be out on lol. But most of my other trucks I run them and then upgrade down the road.

Thanks guys, sounds like a good ideaI , just curious on if there is any thing I should do before I put this together. Little tips or tricks . As far as wheelbase settings is that based on the body style?

Last edited:

True, there are a lot of people out there that blindly follow the spec sheet and expect great results. That method does not account the implementation, experience and tuning of all those fancy parts.

I sort of have the same question and don't want to buy the wrong stuff.

I think the better question is, what are good baseline components (Motor, ESC, Servo? Perhaps in three cost bins would help.

1. cost conscious <$100
  2. spend a little more <$200
  3. bring the checkbook > no limit

Don't forget a Radio/rx batteries, charger...

#1... Hobbywing 1080 esc, ds3218 servo, Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster 35t, 2200mah 3s battery...

#2 is difficult, but the extra hundred would go to a better servo and tires, pick your tread, but Proline g8 is my personal fav compound... Tsl's work well everywhere, I hear Crawlers do too.

#3 HH sv500 V3 servo, Castle Mamba Max esc, Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro 2700kv Brushless motor.

Back