• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Scratch Build Tools ?

Chris2388

Hello. I,m Chris and and new to RC crawlers.

I just bought a SCX10 Dingo Kit. I'm now sitting and waiting.
I thought while I wait I might as well start getting my tools together.

So I have some tools already bought Just wondering what you guys/gals would recommend I also pick up aside from what I have.

What size Hex, and nut drivers along with what fluids should I keep on hand?
What do you guys recommend for a Soldering gun/Station?
Anything else I'm missing that you all would recommend?

I have an assortment of pliers as followed Cutters, straight cutters, Long slim Needle nose, fat pliers, needle nose, flat wide nose

Assorted Drivers as follows. 00, 0, 1, 2, 1/16, 3/32, 1/8, 1/14

Small hobby knife kit

Helping hands

I forgot to add , Love the forum and all the info available, I will also say you guys have some amazing rigs from what i have seen. Keep it up!

I would grab a travel hex set for trail runs. Dynamite Startup Tool Set: Traxxas

I keep another set of hex wrenches at the shop. Something like this. Just linked integy but there are other brands with stronger metal tips. Integy Wrench Set Ti-Nitride Hex (7 piece)

Also, I go through 3mm taps alot with my builds. I buy one just about everytime I order something from RPP. Usually cause I get too impatient and snap the tap. lol. Ive gotten better. Also, 3/32 and 7/64 drill bits will tap 3mm. I keep alot of 3/32 bits. I use 1/8 drill bits for through holes when not tapping. Also, some sort of tapping fluid is a good bet.

Du-Bro 372 Tap & Drill Set 3mm

Hand tap but I usually use my drill with the torque setting on 1/2 torque.
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/dub633.htm

Also, I use a 5.5mm hand socket driver for 4mm wheel nuts. I think it's 5.5mm.

I used to run a Hakko 936 soldering station but it broke. I live in the middle of nowhere and needed a good soldering iron that day. Had to drive but I picked up a radio shack one. Been using it for 2 years now. There are threads on RCC about stations.
http://www.radioshack.com/radioshack-digital-soldering-station/6400053.html#q=soldering&start=11

Body reamers, scissors, curved scissors. Scissors can be bought at walmart.
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/dub2331.htm

A corded dremel and lots of metal cutoff wheels. I have recently stepped up to a small metal cutting vertical bandsaw I built.

Various OD's of heat shrink tubing. Liquid electrical tape.

Dean's plugs.
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/wsd1300.htm

Last edited:
You need some metrics in there, 1.5mm, 2mm, and 2.5mm allen drivers at a minimum. 7mm and 5mm nut drivers can also be quite handy, I use them a lot, but pliers can often suffice if need be.

Small flat, round, and triangle files are handy.

+1 Dremmel
Cut off wheels, sanding drums, and etc shaping bits.

its also a good idea to keep a variety of screws in different lengths. 3mm are the most common, those self tappers they have in the kits are useless.

Whats a good starter Hex Set?

This is one of those investments where you don't want to skimp on. If you buy a cheap set, you will be stripping out screws and it can get very aggravating.

Go with the best: MIP/thorp drivers. Made in USA and they will not strip. Lifetime warrantee. I had a $100 t handle snap-on set that I threw away after getting MIP, that's how good they are.

So from all the reading I decided to order these. Value Hobby R/C Hobby Store (Addison, Illinois): Gforce 25C 2200mAh 3S 11.1V LiPO T Connector
Decent low price and have read nothing but good reviews.

Now just waiting for my Deans connectors to arrive so I can make a charge cable.

I have been buying lipos from ValueHobby for years. Balanced charged everytime and they usually last a year of moderate use. Only had one dud battery I can remember and it was deans solder connection issue.

This is one of those investments where you don't want to skimp on. If you buy a cheap set, you will be stripping out screws and it can get very aggravating.

Go with the best: MIP/thorp drivers. Made in USA and they will not strip. Lifetime warrantee. I had a $100 t handle snap-on set that I threw away after getting MIP, that's how good they are.

I'm an Automotive Tech. Why would you throw away anything Snap-On when there is a lifetime warranty?

Back