• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

RRP Slipper clutch issue.. need input...

tomvaillencourt

Quarry Creeper
Ok, so I recently stripped about 15 teeth off of my stock Wraith Spur... I know this is a weak point in the transmission, so I installed a Robinson Racing Spur and slipper upgrade, but now the slipper seems to be letting go way before it should.. I cant climb Sh**.... everytime the tires get in the slightest bind I get no more power to the wheels.... any thoughts?

you know.... I just tightened it to where it was stock... The shaft doesnt go past the nut... I'm embarassed to admit it probably just needs to be tightened more. Let me tighten it down and try again..... :DopeSlap:

Sounds like it was pretty loose. "thumbsup" I'd start 1 turn out from fully cranked down and see how you like it.

Last edited:
Check for tightness and check to make sure you have the crosspin installed. Don't ask me how I know but a wraith will cruise around on flat ground without the pin installed but any slight obstruction it just spins.:mrgreen:

Check for tightness and check to make sure you have the crosspin installed. Don't ask me how I know but a wraith will cruise around on flat ground without the pin installed but any slight obstruction it just spins.:mrgreen:

:lmao: That's a new one. Never heard that before.

I didn't realized the pin fell out while install. Did exactly that. Finally figured it out and it is now slightly less than 1//4 from tight. If I go against rock straight up 90 deg, it will slip. I will need to tighten just a smidgen more. Dropping the pan and take off the cover is sucha pain, I havn't done it. I kept telling my self the slip will help save parts

I didn't realized the pin fell out while install. Did exactly that. Finally figured it out and it is now slightly less than 1//4 from tight. If I go against rock straight up 90 deg, it will slip. I will need to tighten just a smidgen more. Dropping the pan and take off the cover is sucha pain, I havn't done it. I kept telling my self the slip will help save parts

I would ditch the trans cover....it is useless. One less step to do! "thumbsup"

I would ditch the trans cover....it is useless. One less step to do! "thumbsup"

I strongly disagree with that. It is VERY useful. It protects wiring running through the tunnel. It keeps leaves and grass out of the gears. (HUGE problem where I run, especially in the fall) keeps dirt and mud out.

I strongly disagree with that. It is VERY useful. It protects wiring running through the tunnel. It keeps leaves and grass out of the gears. (HUGE problem where I run, especially in the fall) keeps dirt and mud out.

Me too. I run covers on all 3 of my Wraiths for those reasons"thumbsup"

Well to each his own then :p Mine is in the way of my battery and a pain in the butt!!

The pin was in I made sure of it when I installed the clutch...I just had a brain fart...Turns out the whole assembly was just alot thinner than stock so the spring just had too much room with the nut tightened down same as stock. I tightened it down to full compression and backed it off a turn, and it worked fine. I dont Bash anyway, I just trail run and crawl, so I dont think it really needs to slip much. This may be a dumb question too, but is the pinion gear supposed to sit slightly offset on the spur? I was thinking about flipping the pinion on the motor shaft to get full mesh contact on the gears, but I dont want to screw it up. anyone done this before?

The pin was in I made sure of it when I installed the clutch...I just had a brain fart...Turns out the whole assembly was just alot thinner than stock so the spring just had too much room with the nut tightened down same as stock. I tightened it down to full compression and backed it off a turn, and it worked fine. I dont Bash anyway, I just trail run and crawl, so I dont think it really needs to slip much. This may be a dumb question too, but is the pinion gear supposed to sit slightly offset on the spur? I was thinking about flipping the pinion on the motor shaft to get full mesh contact on the gears, but I dont want to screw it up. anyone done this before?

I flipped mine to provide a better contact pattern, I haven't had any problems so far.

I didn't have to flip my pinion. I have full contact. I use robinson pinion too.

As for the cover, I leave mine on. Too much debris even just around the yard. I run 4 pan screws and 1 cover screw. I am lazy I guess :)

I didn't have to flip my pinion. I have full contact. I use robinson pinion too.

As for the cover, I leave mine on. Too much debris even just around the yard. I run 4 pan screws and 1 cover screw. I am lazy I guess :)

Not lazy, but smart. "thumbsup"

I only put 4 skid bolts in.. 8 is way overkill.

Back