• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Roll Cage

AlexF2294

Hey guys, just joined the forum today. I wanted to ask a question to anyone who has built their own roll cage. What did you build it out of and how did you assemble it (brazing, soldering, welding.... etc.)? Thanks.

Hey guys, just joined the forum today. I wanted to ask a question to anyone who has built their own roll cage. What did you build it out of and how did you assemble it (brazing, soldering, welding.... etc.)? Thanks.

I use 3/16" automotive brake tube, and self fluxing brazing rods.

I wrote a brazing tech thread a few years back on another forum, its here if you want to have a read. You might have to sign up but its a decent forum in Australia

Brazing info, tools and tech. - General Tech - crawlANZ

Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely check out those threads. I'm going to start on my cage as soon as I decide on a design.

4mm solid steel rod it can take my weight on it with minimal triangulation and i use mig welding

I used 1/4 inch brakeline, Silver rods, Safety-Silv flux, and MAPP gas. Sturdy, and weighs less than 8 oz.

1/8 rod, and everything else larger than that, steel tube.
MIG welded.
Then I use engine enamel paints and bake on the paint to cure. Seems as strong or stronger than powder coating and wayyy cheaper.

I used chromoly tubing, and both silver solder and mig wilded. Mig was much much faster, but the silver solder was very clean. In the end I wanted go and not show, so mig it was.

Back