• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Rock crawler for 5yr old

Frank451

Hi

New to the forum and haven’t had Rc models for a long time.

Not looking to spend too much, but after a crawler for my 5yr old.

Ideally wants to be lipo battery. Nothing to big but something decent and reliable and a good budget. Also based in the United Kingdom.

Hope someone can help

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SXC24..... if small scale for indoor/outdoor is suitable.

Or pick up a RedCat Gen8 (1/10th scale).
Think both are available across the pond.

The other would be an Element Ecto which may be a really good option as well.

My first crawler was a trx4 sport RTR ... its about 3.5 years old and still running great ... it has been reliable and stout as it is my loaner vehicle when we have company to play... it was a great leaning tool for my kids motor controls ... they started playing with it since about 2.5 years old and now they are both great. After a lot of crashes and tumbles its going strong. Not sure what your availability for parts is, but here trx4 parts are easy to get a hold of.

Just something to consider- Size & indoor or outdoor.

IMO Young boys tend to like bigger rather than smaller when it comes to RC. So much to them is about holding, carrying, touching, etc. I feel that with a 1/24 that he may tend to lose interest more quickly than with a 1/10 scale ( or even 1/18). A bigger RC ( like the trx4 Sport) will go more places as well whereas a 1/24 is going to be slower and more limited regarding terrain, etc.

If the kid will primarily be in the house with his RC crawler, than a 1/24 might be a better choice simply due to the limited space. But if planning to run outdoors ( which I would encourage because being outdoors is a good thing for a kid lol) I would go with something like the 1/10 Sport or even the [new] smaller 1/18 trx-4m.

wpl c24 cheap fun upgradable and comes with a lipo and a charger for about $50
or atleast thats what i was thinking when i bought one for my 5 year old grandson
he dosent have it yet though i hope he likes it i will find out here soon though

you shouldent have any trouble getting one from china but not before christmass but shouldent be hard to get if you have the time

Do you want to share the truck with him, or run your own at the same time?
For a shared truck you might want something that can be set to "training" mode with half speed when the kid uses it and then to normal mode when you drive.

Started my kids on the ECX Barrage Gen2. They have been great trucks. Also bought 5 Axial SCX24 for the whole family. Those have been fun as well.

I got mine the scx24, and I have a feeling that he is going to want to put monster truck tires on it.

Not sure what type of terrain you are going to be running on but I would get a TRX4M Bronco if I were me. They are inexpensive and very capable right out of the box. They are quite durable and highly upgradeable and very easy to work on. The electronics are also very simple and easy to use and set up. They are also a good size for a little one to pick up, carry and handle. Also, you can get one for the 5 year old and one for yourself for less than the price of a single 10th scale truck so you both could use them together. Just my two cents. Let us know what you end up going with. :)

If your after a small scale grab a scx24. If your wanting 10th scale grab a scx10.2. My son has both & both has held up rather well for his abuse, parts are easy to find and get if he does manage to break them."thumbsup"

Not sure what type of terrain you are going to be running on but I would get a TRX4M Bronco if I were me. They are inexpensive and very capable right out of the box. They are quite durable and highly upgradeable and very easy to work on. The electronics are also very simple and easy to use and set up. They are also a good size for a little one to pick up, carry and handle. Also, you can get one for the 5 year old and one for yourself for less than the price of a single 10th scale truck so you both could use them together. Just my two cents. Let us know what you end up going with. :)
My friend also got TRX4M Bronco for his 10yr old son and it's been performing well under the aggressive moves of the kid.

Back