• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Riding off road! 2 wheels and 4.

lonleycreeper

I wanna be Dave
As suggested by Jato, thank you, I am starting a thread on off road motorcycle riding. I just got my wife her own bike (2wd atv) and have taken her out now a couple times. I have ridden since I was a little guy, starting out on a XR50. I have ridden XR100's, 250, 400, also I owned a 1990 CR250, and borrowed a KDX220 and a YZ250. I rode until I moved to Montana at 28 years of age and sold my CR there. Finally, I moved back south to Idaho about 5 years ago and bought my first house. About 2 years ago, I bought a TTR125 and got my motorcycle legs again. This year I bought a TW200 and about 3 weeks ago bought my wife a Yamaha Bear Tracker and we have gone out 2x since, and she love being in control of it. We bring our doggo who either runs or rides on the back of the quad.

Feel free to share your story /pictures in this thread.
Pics incoming... thanks for looking.

DBWb0Kuh.jpg

g8NlX9ah.jpg

KCgNocUh.jpg

bQJynsIh.jpg

JAuTeCyh.jpg

2nd week in July my father and I rode McGruder corridor. Its 122miles one way from Elk City Idaho to Darby Montana about 90 of those miles being dirt and also passing through the most remote location in the lower 48 states. more pics and I photo'd some signs up at the ID/MT border/pass...

Ready to ride.
oEldSwZh.jpg

McGruder ranger station.
6BzeRtdh.jpg

First camp
TOnP51dh.jpg

Entering Darby
TOnP51dh.jpg

Leaving Darby to go back.
pTBobnDh.jpg

Up on the pass
pTBobnDh.jpg

5QcQzpPh.jpg

QbPjjn3h.jpg

2nd camp.
QbPjjn3h.jpg

Nearby salmon hatching area.
YhIFOBch.jpg

5oA41dih.jpg

On the road back.
IkpE8jNh.jpg

zLgsfHuh.jpg

LnF5Qblh.jpg

jzTUE56h.jpg

j0YXwCkh.jpg

Burnt Knob fire lookout. The ride up was challenging but not terribly difficult. My dad had a couple issues on the ride up, but nothing I couldnt help him with.
X89INw5h.jpg

The last pass before making it back to the truck.

X89INw5h.jpg

My packout. Tent, sleeping bag, Jacket, 1.5 gallons of gas on the tail of my bike. Clothes food and cooking gear in my backpack.

gdVC8NIh.jpg

Awesome photos, man! Beautiful scenery. I am so very jealous. Here in PA, it is housing development on top of housing development. Open land is nonexistent in these parts. I'd love to pick up and move, but I have too many ties to this area.

For those that have never experienced riding motorcycles and ATVs off-road, they are missing out. There is no better fun in the world!

Great to see you doing it with your wife. That's bonding time.

In terms of acceleration, torque and top speed, how does the KLX140 compare to the TW200? As I said on other threads, I'm short so a full-size dirt bike, dual sport or even supermoto bikes are out of the question for me. And smaller bikes are 200cc and under, but I like me some speed and power.

Open land is nonexistent in these parts. I'd love to pick up and move, but I have too many ties to this area.
THIS, 1000% THIS. The Forest Circus here just puts up gates on everything to keep you out, rather than what the land was originally set aside for. It's a minimum of a three hour drive for any decent riding these days, and at that point it just starts to feel more like work than fun on a two day weekend.

Great shots and scenery. Not gonna lie, I'm a little jelly! LOL

Awesome photos, man! Beautiful scenery. I am so very jealous. Here in PA, it is housing development on top of housing development. Open land is nonexistent in these parts. I'd love to pick up and move, but I have too many ties to this area.

For those that have never experienced riding motorcycles and ATVs off-road, they are missing out. There is no better fun in the world!

Great to see you doing it with your wife. That's bonding time.

In terms of acceleration, torque and top speed, how does the KLX140 compare to the TW200? As I said on other threads, I'm short so a full-size dirt bike, dual sport or even supermoto bikes are out of the question for me. And smaller bikes are 200cc and under, but I like me some speed and power.

Seen in the pics from left to right... Tw 200, Klx140, Crf150.
140klx is very comparable to the 200 in power. Its geared lower is all so it doesn't quite have the top speed the TW has but its within a couple mph. My dad and I have the same build and stature as seen in the photo. I am wearing the orange shirt he's wearing the green. My nephew is wearing my old gear from when I rode in my 20's. The seat height on my Tw200 is about an inch shorter than the KLX, It feels very similar to riding my TTR125 which was a small wheel version.TW is rated at 15 hp and the KLX 140 is like 12.
THIS, 1000% THIS. The Forest Circus here just puts up gates on everything to keep you out, rather than what the land was originally set aside for. It's a minimum of a three hour drive for any decent riding these days, and at that point it just starts to feel more like work than fun on a two day weekend.

One of the reasons I didn't ride in Montana is, everything was gated off or for non-motorized use. I love it out here and the best part is all of my immediate family lives here.

were i grew up and learned to ride and went wheeling got environmentalalized and suddenly developed a endangered plant species lol people i guess were still riding and wheeling out there so the city workers went outhere with a tractor and started the entire forest on fire took out radio towers and tv toweres and a weather station and spread to the next county over and burned a bunch of houses and is still burning
i guess thats 1 way yo stop people from wheelin outhere atleast for some time

i always wanted to try a tw200 but havent had the chance besides there too exspensive for me anyway lol

i used to have to drive to ride or wheel but when i retired i bought a house in a ohv park so im surrounded by open riding and alot of it still dont get out enuff though

Last edited:
Back