• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Reverse issue with Spektrum DX5

freakaccident

So I have a Spektrum DX5 Rugged. Reverse is not working. I have tested two programmable ESCs to verify that it is not an ESC setting. I am using a brushed motor.

Does anyone know of a setting in this stupid transmitter that might disable reverse? Honestly I hate the DX5. DO not buy one.

So I have a Spektrum DX5 Rugged. Reverse is not working. I have tested two programmable ESCs to verify that it is not an ESC setting. I am using a brushed motor.

Does anyone know of a setting in this stupid transmitter that might disable reverse? Honestly I hate the DX5. DO not buy one.
I do not. did you calibrate the ESC when you bound it? ESC programmed in a race mode (forward only)? New radio or used?

I have had this issue with two causes:
1) I somehow got my esc into race mode- not sure how it happend but after messing with the thing for 30 minutes I connected the program card (1080) and found it in forward-only. Never chose that, and it only happened once, but it happened to me.

2) when calibrating the esc and radio I had the throttle set to reverse and it just would not work. I set to normal, calibrated and it was fine. Set throttle to reverse and everything worked fine. Since then I have reversed my motor wires anyway, but the lesson I learned was this: don't bind and calibrate with the throttle in "reverse" on the radio.

If it's not one of those, I have no idea and can only wish you good luck.

I have had this issue with two causes:
1) I somehow got my esc into race mode- not sure how it happend but after messing with the thing for 30 minutes I connected the program card (1080) and found it in forward-only. Never chose that, and it only happened once, but it happened to me.

2) when calibrating the esc and radio I had the throttle set to reverse and it just would not work. I set to normal, calibrated and it was fine. Set throttle to reverse and everything worked fine. Since then I have reversed my motor wires anyway, but the lesson I learned was this: don't bind and calibrate with the throttle in "reverse" on the radio.

If it's not one of those, I have no idea and can only wish you good luck.

The programming on the ESCs I have tested are set to fw/rev. I am going to switch out to another radio to see if that works.

I swapped to an older Flysky radio and reverse works fine. It's something with the DX5. I think I may wire in an led to a servo wire so I can troubleshoot easier and see if it gets the reverse signal. I really dislike this DX5.

Do you have a servo you can test the throttle channel with? If you get the servo to move when you pull and release the throttle, but does nothing when you push it forward, could be an adjustment issue for that channel.

Quick edit;
If you do as I suggest, plug the steering servo into the throttle channel and the ESC into the steering channel too. Not old will this power up the Rx, but you can use the steering servo to make sure you have full travel programmed into the throttle channel then you can check the reverse on the ESC against the Rx in question through a channel that has you know has full travel in both directions. If the truck goes forward and back with the steering but only turns one direction then returns to center, you know it’s the trim setting on the throttle channel.

Last edited:
You can see the outputs on the dx5 if you scroll down. Confirm if its trying to output reverse on the screen. Also check your trims. Forward and reverse work of the same potentiometer so its not likley a hardware problem. Also you can create a new profile and rebind the car to test default settings.

I was able to go into the settings menu and reset the model which resolved the issue. Somewhere along the line I must have hit a setting that disabled reverse.

The DX5 Rugged is still a piece of garbage IMHO. DO NOT BUY! The touch scroll thing is useless and makes you want to find the nearest lake to throw it into. How Spektrum ever thought putting this thing into production was a good idea is besides me. No customer ever said "Hey this touch scroll thing is great and works great!" NOT A SINGLE ONE! You know what does work great? The setting wheel on the Flysky FS-GT5. My kid could program the Flysky. I just wish it had more 3 pos aux switches.

Yes I have the latest software update and have watched their dumb little video on how to use it. The fact of the matter is that it doesn't work. Try going to Set aux channels. You will spend 15 minutes of hell trying to get it done. Get the aux ch flashing then try to swipe 1500 times to switch from aux1 to aux 2. This thing is garbage. I wish I could get my money back or had read reviews before I purchased.

I think I have an issue with Spektrum across the board. The RXs tolerances where the servo cables plug in are waaaay to tight. This isn't the space shuttle. Leave a little room so we can actually plug these things in without cursing Spektrum.

OHHH and I bought the grey model rugged that was supposed to come with the RX. Mine was missing it and they did nothing to help me. I had to buy one separately. I won't buy anything from them ever again.

Last edited:
Back