• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.
  • RCSC

Resurrecting a 25 year old RC10 GT

high plains drifter

RCC Addict
Subscribed Member
Disclosure: This thread will be pic and text heavy.

Recently I was looking at a new RC project but just about everything that I was considering was simply leaving me with that "meh" feeling... mainly due to everything being just another RC vehicle that anyone/ everyone could build/ buy or has done so already... crawlers, rally cars, etc... nothing spoke to me. And then it hit me... why not try to resurrect the car that for me, started it all? I did a ton of research to see what I might be getting into with a long-since discontinued stadium truck and although I knew I'd have some challenges, limitations, and frustrations, I just couldn't get it out of my head. The seed was planted and I knew that this was what I was looking for... a project built upon passion and nostalgia... a true sentimental journey.

I won't go into too much detail about the Associated RC10 GT but I had three versions... the original tub chassis kit that originated in 1993, the upgraded plate-chassis in RTR, and the upgraded Factory Team kit (production year 2000). IMO the best platform was the shorter/ wider RTR chassis and I still kick myself that I didn't hold on to that one as well as my tub-chassis kit. The tub chassis was thinner and prone to bending and although the upgraded plate chassis was more robust, I did manage to bend one of those too. The shorter RTR chassis seemed to be the most stout in my experience.

Anyway... What I have left is a bunch of old nitro/ RC10 GT parts... both factory as well as aftermarket and even some hand-made/ upgraded parts and pieces. Once I started digging everything out and doing a basic inventory, I felt that I had the makings of one more RC10 GT... to relive those nitro days that gave me such enthusiasm and excitement. Yep... I haven't forgotten the hassles of breaking-in and tuning a nitro carburetor, or the blisters from so much pull-starting, or the mess from the fuel and grease. But again... this project just spoke to me in a way that nothing else has in a long long time.

SO... let's get going!

After inspecting and tearing apart all my old engines ( an OS .12 CV, an OS .15 CV, a Thunder Tiger .15, and a Traxxas TRX 2.5) I realized that since nitro engines are still in production, purchasing a new engine made the most sense. 25 years of nitro varnish is just not worth a rebuild. And even with a ton of parts on hand, there would be a host of other parts/ accessories that I would need along with the new engine.

Regarding servos- As many servos as I have on hand... including some old Futaba S3003s and S9405s, and an Airtronics 94737 ( originally on one or more of my RC10 GT's), I wanted a pair of servos that matched, were new, and that would accentuate the build in some way so of course I had to go with Reedy. Not their best but enough speed and torque to get the job done and a definite upgrade over anything 20+ yrs old.

The 'meat & potatoes' parts list:

Team Associated RC10T body. Not sure how well this will fit but it should work one way or another.
Traxxas TRX Pro .15. short crank PS. Blasphemy! But it didn't break the bank and should be a good choice for this platform.
Reedy 2513 MG digital hi-speed metal gear servos.
LRP XTEC 5-cell 6.0v NiMH hump pack RX 1600 mah.
Fast Eddy complete RC10 GT sealed bearing kit.
Team KNK complete stainless hardware kit.

There will be more hardware coming from McMaster Carr and possibly some other asst hardware when I get into this project deeper. But for now this will get me rolling. And as anybody knows from reading my 8-32 thread, some hardware can be quite difficult to find lol. Other things on the way, or nor yet ordered are things like fuel, fuel tubing, fuel bottle, glow plugs, glow igniter, decals, paint, and depending on where I decide to go with all of this... maybe a new TX/ RX. I may use a radio/ receiver that I already have... just not sure yet.

Upon disassembly of all components, everything gets thoroughly inspected and then either retired & bagged, cleaned & reused, or replaced. Also, certain parts and hardware will be upgraded as I go. What can be or must be reused will, and almost everything will be saved whether used or not. I've already had to slot a total of six screws that were seized up and/ or that had stripped heads... four button head engine mount screws ( black oxide 2mm hex) and two nose-brace mounting screws ( stainless 1/16 hex). Slotting the 1/16 screws was quite painstaking as they were too small to for a cut-off wheel and instead had to be slotted with a tiny engraving bit lol.

Alright... first images and it ain't pretty!

And finally... ready to rock-n-roll!

Yes! I'll be watching this one. The RC10T is my favorite vintage RC. So much so that I bought two of the RC10T re-re kits. Nitro is so awesome with the sound and smells...

In for the ride. ...and all that sticky looking dirt.
I have a gold pan re re I bought many years ago. Damn thing is buried somewhere in the closet still new in the box.

It burns my eyes and nose
It's a good burn though! I mean... it's really not lol. I remember face-fulls of nitro smoke... or sometimes just hot residue lol... And that was a stain that you could NOT get out. The real fun starts with e-clips!

Fwiw just because I'm thinking about it... I've made the decision that she's going to get a lot of pampered shelf life with occasional runs ( maybe even more than I'm thinking if that "fun factor" floods back) but we'll see. I don't want to take big damage risks with this one. The first crash and roll-over are gonna sting. I intend to be gentle and I probably will be at first but it'll be interesting to see if I can resist the urge to get her crazy long-term. Gonna try though.
In for the ride. ...and all that sticky looking dirt.
I have a gold pan re re I bought many years ago. Damn thing is buried somewhere in the closet still new in the box.
Thanks for taking a look, smog. Keep me in mind if you ever dig that thing up. I'm finding this to be an interesting puzzle to piece together and there's not much out there now re rc10 gt specific stuff.
Looking through the pics again I’m surprised not to see a balloon around the receiver 🤣
You can see the cover on the left in the first pic below... the burgundy colored thing. It fits nicely on that particular rx and it's pretty heavy duty. I might use it again depending on rx fitment. And It's certainly aged but I'm already finding the old wear and tear on certain parts an appealing part of this build. I like the battle-scars as long as the part is clean and has maintained structural/ mechanical integrity.

Second pic. Bunch of rc10 gt specific parts from the original builds... factory and aftermarket, upgrades, new, used, etc... fortunately all usable.

Mainly for my own documentation:

Cleaning routine depending on specific part, condition, etc... gets soaked, brushed, wiped etc with whatever is appropriate... Simple Green, engine de-greaser, WD40, or carburetor cleaner. Graphite powder goes on all ball-cups and hinge-pins. Everything is dried thoroughly overnight and/ or shot with compressed air before reassembly. Thread-lock or anti-seize where called for. Using lots of q-tip variants, stiff brushes, rags, paper towels, and toilet paper. Even stole a pair of my wife's panties because they're really soft and thin... great for a final polish!

Fwiw I'm using my drill press fitted with whatever size-appropriate metal tips to press in/ out stub axle-pins and CVD cross-pins... a tool I didn't have 25 years ago. Not only nice to have but I think it was a life-saver on a pair of rusted CVD pins that otherwise wouldn't budge.

Found this pic below, of a T-Maxx and RC10 GT that I did back in the day. As much as I hate messing with bodies these days, I loved it 25 years ago. I'm actually looking fwd to doing this one and already have a couple ideas in mind for color/ graphics.

Hmmmmmmm, I see where all your hardware questions came in to play for.
Ya, nitro ya that brings me back to some good memories. Super nitro rally, HPI MT2 ss, etc I remember buying a cotton candy additive for the fuel when i ran my Losi lst II.

E- clips should be a 4 letter word, as they shot off in every direction. I think i may drill all my arms and use a small set screw. I have had good luck with shoo goo, too!

I almost lost an eye once pushing down on a shock or a spring. The spring shot up right in the eyeball; man did that hurt like a son ofabitch.

Hey would a electric carbon fiber chassis be the same layout as this nitro one? I recall those chassis were very very thick. Just cutout the hole for the flywheel.

Last edited:
Hmmmmmmm, I see where all your hardware questions came in to play for.
Ya, nitro ya that brings me back to some good memories. Super nitro rally, HPI MT2 ss, etc I remember buying a cotton candy additive for the fuel when i ran my Losi lst II.

E- clips should be a 4 letter word, as they shot off in every direction. I think i may drill all my arms and use a small set screw. I have had good luck with shoo goo, too!

I almost lost an eye once pushing down on a shock or a spring. The spring shot up right in the eyeball; man did that hurt like a son ofabitch.

Hey would a electric carbon fiber chassis be the same layout as this nitro one? I recall those chassis were very very thick. Just cutout the hole for the flywheel.
Oh man... I remember that cotton candy. Can't really recall the actual aroma but my LHS was pushing it for a short time. I'll take my nitro straight up lol.

My cars were several RC10 GT's, a TMaxx, and a Kyosho MP 7.5. AE was my favorite of them although I had constantly lusted for something on-road. Lotta guys were running Losi's and HPI's back then.

Yeah, I'd much rather have set-screws than to have to mess with e-clips. They have a mind of their own lol.

This aluminum chassis is 3/ 32" or about 2.43mm. A CF electric version of this chassis would of course have fewer holes and they'd be configured differently but without a fuel tank, engine, or throttle servo there would be a lot of room for electronics/ battery. Honestly... an electric CF version of this car would be really cool.

I also had an electric AE buggy ( B3 maybe?) back in the day but didn't run it much and sold it after only a few months. Looking back I wish I still had it just for the nostalgia. Thing was pretty quick and agile as I remember. I'd love to have a LE 40th Anniversary RC10 kit... engraved gold tub chassis is sweet.

I've made the decision that she's going to get a lot of pampered shelf life with occasional runs
Probably for the best, have you checked the cost of nitro fuel these days?

The last time I bought nitro, a gallon of 20% was like $17. Now, that is the more like the price for a quart.

I do love the old RC10GT though and would definitely buy a re-release version for the nostalgia. My cousin and I would run our Tamiyas all the time but my mind was blown the day he brought over his freshly built RC10GT team kit with an OS .12CV engine. The first time experiencing the speed and sound of nitro is one of my core RC memories.

Probably for the best, have you checked the cost of nitro fuel these days?

The last time I bought nitro, a gallon of 20% was like $17. Now, that is the more like the price for a quart.

I do love the old RC10GT though and would definitely buy a re-release version for the nostalgia. My cousin and I would run our Tamiyas all the time but my mind was blown the day he brought over his freshly built RC10GT team kit with an OS .12CV engine. The first time experiencing the speed and sound of nitro is one of my core RC memories.
Yeah, fuel is expensive now. I plan on running Traxxas Top Fuel... 10% break in ( quart) and then 20% in quarts not gallons. It'll take me too long to run through a gallon and it's easier to digest a quart for $33. Just one of the downsides that inherently comes with a project like this.

Same with me... a super-established memory that ignited the enthusiasm for this project. I knew it would open up some cans of worms but so far I'm loving it and still ( at least at this point) think this was the right decision. I feel very at home being so familiar with all this already and I know that no other RC build would ever fill me with these kinds of great feelings.

lol- There was a guy on YT that rebuilt his RC10GT ( in 2019 iirc) and when I heard him open up that throttle and when I saw that blue smoke, I almost giggled.

I ran nitro stuff over 20 years ago. First was an hpi nitro mt, then a couple tmaxx, then a monster pirate. These days I have no desire to get back into nitro. The electric power systems have come so far that nitro doesn't really offer what was missing from electric back then (power and run time).

I have considered finding a tmaxx or revo and converting to electric for some of that nostalgia without the nitro hassle.

Back