• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Quick Lexan body prep question

OnTheTrail

Rock Crawler
Do I need to scuff the inside of a Lexan body before spraying it with Tamiya PS rattle cans? Or just spray as is after a good cleaning?

Did the driver figure with Testors brush-on paint and took several coats and touch ups to get all the small areas where the paint didn't want to stick right away.

Thx.........

I scuff with 800 or finer, or even steel wool on lexan or any smooth surface. Prep is one of those 'buy once/cry once' deals. Can you get away with not doing it? Probably. Will it work every time, especially on something that flexes? Probably not. Obviously you don't want to see swirl marks but if you use fine enough paper/wool/scotchbrite you won't, and take your time. It is well worth the 10 minutes.

Yes, you should scuff it.

I scuff mine heavily with 220 grit sandpaper or scotch brite. Don't be scared of scuffing too much, the scuff marks hide under the paint completely when you're done.

And I'm sure you already plan for this, but also wash it thoroughly using dish soap and hot water, or use a good wax and grease remover.

I always wash AND prep the interior. 'Scuffing' it gives the paint a better surface to "grip" onto. Even the best automotive paint needs "grip", which is exactly why a primer layer is sprayed first. Granted, we can't do printer on Lexan bodies...which is exactly why we lightly scuff the interior. I tried doing a body (using automotive paint) without scuffing it first. After spraying the primary colors, I covered them with white. I can tell you, after 4-5 runs, including several crashes/rolls/flips, the paint started flaking off. Here's what it looks like:
0e8ce28c3359fe3b1d5769a83169fbd0.jpg
c13cce799ae54d3907129513327fca67.jpg
Since the last use of this body (April 2020), it's been sitting, unused. The only reason I've kept it is 1) it's what I use as a "test body" (noticable by all the body mount holes), and 2) to remind myself to never paint a Lexan body without scuffing it first (and that includes when using automotive paint).

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice and tips, Gentlemen. Went pretty well for my first Lexan paint job (only the top is Lexan, the tub is yellow out of the box).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not quite a crawler but I did leave you all with the obligatory money shot at the end. :ror:

68016281aaadbee04e0c9c7eb105eb30.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Looks nice...REALLY nice. Brings back memories of the old Grasshopper, as well as the old Tamiya vs Kyosho 'battle'. Someone (can't remember who) even did an adapter conversion, to mount the Scorpion wheels on the Grasshopper.

Looks nice...REALLY nice. Brings back memories of the old Grasshopper, as well as the old Tamiya vs Kyosho 'battle'. Someone (can't remember who) even did an adapter conversion, to mount the Scorpion wheels on the Grasshopper.

Thanks! It was a fun build. Couple tricky parts but definitely old school. The quality of the parts is pretty amazing. Now that I got the paint done on this, time to finish the Sand Scorcher. Guess I'll have my own Tamiya vs Kyosho thing going on..... LOL

Last edited:
Back