• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

PS-55 / Ext. bodty paint durability

Ty89m

Hey ya'll

Just ordered up a few Tamiya PS colors for my new Vanquish Phoenix and Pro, and I'm contemplating following suit of a few other members and painting the fender flares/roof in black from the exterior and sealing those areas up with PS-55 flat clear.

For those who have done similar paint schemes, how has your flat clear sealed exterior painted areas held up? I have to assume those areas will be prone to scratches, but hoping the flat clear will toughen it up a tad. I'll ensure the underside of those areas are also black, so it'll hide scratches a bit better.

If I get really fancy, I'm going to try and trim the exterior film around the windows so I can paint the trim/seals black as I'm terrible at stickers "thumbsup"

Last edited:
Hey ya'll

Just ordered up a few Tamiya PS colors for my new Phoenix and Pro, and I'm contemplating following suit of a few other members and panting the fender flares/roof in black from the exterior and sealing those areas up with PS-55 flat clear.

For those who have done similar paint schemes, how has your flat clear sealed exterior panting areas held up? I have to assume those areas will be prone to scratches, but hoping the flat clear will toughen it up a tad. I'll ensure the underside of those areas is also black, so it'll hide scratches a bit better.

If I get really fancy, I'm going to try and trim the exterior film around the windows so I can paint the trim/seals black as I'm terrible at stickers "thumbsup"

I’ve done many bodies using this technique. It holds up great and if it does get scratched, it’s easy to touch up.

And yes, use the film on outside as a mask. Gently and lightly using a new blade, cut the film. Once film is peeled, lightly press down on remaining film. You should get a bleed free edge every time.

Here is a pic of my PRO and Phoenix. All the black is painted on the outside with the PS-55 Flat Clear to seal and protect.

c60b0de611c1887bebba8612bcbe3a3e.jpg

b02e545c713a084de2c9cc9cb8225c51.jpg

aba2e942f7010bbdc4b79323e45567a0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B-MOW71, you are precisely the inspiration I was referring to "thumbsup"

I'll be using the same bright gun metal as you as well. You did a phenomenal job man!

Thanks!

B-MOW71, you are precisely the inspiration I was referring to "thumbsup"

I'll be using the same bright gun metal as you as well. You did a phenomenal job man!

Thanks!
You're going to make his head swell! :lmao:

J/K Brian. That paint job inspired my VS410 as well. :flipoff:

Back