• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Proper Lipo care tips

wicked4x4

Pebble Pounder
i am hoping i can get a few tips / rules of thumb to go by with my lipos from all you experts. i'm not having problems now, and don't think i'm doing anything severly improper with my lipos, but i've got a few questions for y'all to be sure i'm getting the best care for and life out of my batteries.
-thanks

i'm mainly curious about storage:
- what is max time to leave a lipo fully charged before using?
- what is proper 'storage' voltage if lipo is not going to be used for a week / few weeks?
- what type of damage can occur to battery if left at full charge for several days without being used?
- - or at its 'cut-off' voltage for several days?

-any other tips on care are welcome

This is what I follow for my LiPo packs....

For the life of the pack, you should use it after it has been fully charged within a day of charging.

I have gone several days after fully charging before using a pack with no damage that I am aware of.

If the pack isn't going to be used for over a week, it should be charged at about 60% of capacity for storage.

If fully charged use within 1 week
Store at 3.6 - 3.8v / cell
or
Store fully charged in the fridge and warm up before using (slowly)
Never! did I say Never? discharge below 3.0v/cell
Always balance charge
If able monitor internal resistance and when it is off by more than 15% dump the pack.
Dispose of packs by soaking in salt water (controled short) then bring to proper disposal facility.
It's O.K. to top off a battery, lipo has no memory issues (unlike me:roll:)

Back