• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Pitbull tires compound question

Reezo

Pebble Pounder
I've been searching everywhere and couldn't get an answer:

I read that Pitbull Tires used to make a Komp compound and now they are making an Alien compound.

Apart from the fact that general consensus seems to state that the Alien compound is better on everything, compared to the Komp, my question is:

How do you tell which compound they are? Do they have a color scheme, dot, label etc. on the tire to get it?

Thanks! 🙏

Are you buying a used set? If you're buying new they almost always list the compound on the listing.

I dont think they have any markings to indicate the compound though.

At this point I think the only set they make using both compounds is the Growler.

Are you buying a used set? If you're buying new they almost always list the compound on the listing.

I dont think they have any markings to indicate the compound though.

At this point I think the only set they make using both compounds is the Growler.
Thanks for the assistance. I found a used set for a good price (40 bucks for 6 1.9 Rock Beasts XL) and I was evaluating the purchase.

The seller didn't list the compound, he got them from a used crawler he bought but doesn't need them. They don't look bad (I can post pictures later).

I was curious about the compound, even if I asked the seller, there is no way to probably back the assertion with facts... Hence my question.

The investigation continues!

Quick update, I decided to buy the 6 tires anyway, the seller (Falk, if you are reading things, thank you ;) ) was very nice and accepted 38 bucks for 6, including shipping. No idea on what the compound is, but I gotta be honest with y'all, this compound thing has always made little to no difference for me, compared to many other variables. I had this thing for "it must be Predator compound" and then got G8 all the way and if I had to choose now... OK I still don't care but I might even lean on the G8. Same for green vs yellow, all those things.

Tread pattern and other features are much more important to me, maybe I'd go for the gooey ones only if I had ultra light comp crawlers in Class 2 or 3. With zero weight on the RC that sticky shizy thing might help on the bare rock. But again, I don't care <-cool song.

The seller asked me: "are you the guy on RCCrawler.com?" because he had gone around trying to find info on the compound, as well.

And Pitbull RC hasn't replied. But again, good tires are good tires, seller was very kind and the deal is good.

I'll keep you posted! I've always wanted a set of Rock Beasts or Growlers, now I have 6.

Last edited:
I don't think they have ever sold the XLs in Komp. The XLs were one of if not the first tires Pitbull offered in Alien. The original (non XLs) and a couple of their older tires are still Komp.

I think I solved it and hope this can be of help to others... it seems that the Pitbull Alien compound has a logo/mascot/icon that is also on the tire.

Not sure if this helps but I thought I'd post the pics. Here is their Alien logo:

y7nfjAD.png

Here is what it looks like on one of their stock photos:

uyq61mX.png

...and here is a zoomed-in detail of one of the pictures from the classifieds ad I bought the tires from:

kOmcMbl.png

You can clearly see that alien logo. THAT means Alien compound.

I thought i remembered seeing that weird alien dog thing on them but wasn't sure. They are on the pbx but i couldn't find any pics of them on the rock beast xls.

Another update on this topic, I found 4 more for sale here at the moment and if you look at this picture (taken from the classified) you'll notice that there's no "alien dog" logo.

So maybe these are Komp compound. Not sure, the seller doesn't specify, but just to say there might actually be two versions?

jVAEjnh.png

I apologize I just realized I posted this thread in the 'videos!' section. I have no idea how this happened but it's definitely my fault. I'll message a mod to move it to the appropriate section.

The tires are here, bananas for scale.

I had the great idea to catch a fever for a cold after biking, sweating, sitting in the wind, and repeating it for a week.

Looking great, still new, ventilated the way I do it for all my tires and harr aggressive.

b03y109.jpeg

I have these on a build and really like them. The hyrax really overshadowed the release when these first came out. And being expensive as they were didn't help. The Rock Beast is still a great tire regardless of the size or compound

I have these on a build and really like them. The hyrax really overshadowed the release when these first came out. And being expensive as they were didn't help. The Rock Beast is still a great tire regardless of the size or compound

Thanks for the backstory, I love this info. I wasn't following much of the product scene and I was doing more buggies than crawlers back then, so I did miss out on details like this. The whole timeline of when products came out, what they meant on the scene, how they affected setups etc.

I have a set of 1.9 Hyrax tires with Proline Dual Stage foams, on my C2 carbon comp crawler, but used them briefly on my Gladiator, while waiting for the Krawlers to arrive.

I agree that the performance is very reliable and it's a tire that just bites. But I also noticed as usual that the Internet overblowns things, and that scenarios are much different from say lower Germany to Utah. Nothing beats the field test and we know that.

And I agree with you on compounds, too. Actually, here, when put to the test, the compound itself never made an astonishing difference. Either the tire, foam, wheel, platform combo works on the terrain or it doesn't. Compound hasn't made a rig climb where it wouldn't, in my personal rigs, unless we're talking super super light rigs on clean rocks.

Still, given the price, and the overall performance, I can see how the Hyrax just ate everything on its path.

Its been many years so my memory might be off, but IIRC the Rock Beast XLs did not perform very well at all until they got a good amount of wear on them but Hyraxes started off pretty good. The Pitbulls were also priced significantly higher than the Prolines at the time.

I am curious to see how well they would compare to the newer tires out there with some good 3d printed inserts. Dont think I've seen anyone running any Pitbull tires in a long time.

I was looking at 1.9 tires recently and was interested in the rock beast XOR... but absolutely could not stomach the $90 for full set plus shipping. Really wanted to try em out but no way to justify that price ( plus foams if I wouldn't have liked the factory foams).

Its been many years so my memory might be off, but IIRC the Rock Beast XLs did not perform very well at all until they got a good amount of wear on them but Hyraxes started off pretty good. The Pitbulls were also priced significantly higher than the Prolines at the time.

I am curious to see how well they would compare to the newer tires out there with some good 3d printed inserts. Dont think I've seen anyone running any Pitbull tires in a long time.
I can confirm I heard some friends say the same, that their Growlers and Rock Beasts starting giving after some time settling in. Proline in general (I mostly have Proline and Louise, but also Voodoo and stock Axial for my Yeti and Bomber) works good right out of the pack and then still improves with wear.

I think (a hunch) that the Pitbulls can shine once you find the right foam for them. I'm not sure I have the stock foam (it seems like it) in the ones I bought used, but it's the same in all 6 I got. Pitbull RC claimed that the foam was just perfect and you didn't need to change it but I think the solution will be on 3D printed, and possibly, another hunch... Softer than you'd go on another tire, still without completely crushing the tire under the weight of the rig.

I've had good luck with Injora Green and Blue, using foam rings to reinforce them sometimes. I might throw in those and try the Rock Beasts in my "Benchmark Capra".

Not until I'm done with this cold. 🥶🤧

I was looking at 1.9 tires recently and was interested in the rock beast XOR... but absolutely could not stomach the $90 for full set plus shipping. Really wanted to try em out but no way to justify that price ( plus foams if I wouldn't have liked the factory foams).

Absolutely. I don't mind collecting tires a bit, for each type I like to get contrasts with others, I'm always trying to add a set of tires that brings variety to the sets I have.

But not to any price... It can the most amazing tire, it's gotta be priced OK.

I apologize I just realized I posted this thread in the 'videos!' section. I have no idea how this happened but it's definitely my fault. I'll message a mod to move it to the appropriate section.
I moved it for you.

As others have said, Pit Bull tires are expensive and I think that has hindered their popularity.

Back