• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Painting Chrome?

run2jeepn

I wanna be Dave
Alright I've painted 3 bodies this week using Chrome. EveryoneI got these spots that look like moisture between the paint and the lexan. What causes that and how did I stop that from happening? I'm using Spray can Chrome. My guess is the aerosol is to cold and causing it. Would using an Airbrush be the answer?

i sometimes use the rattle cans and i,ve had some stuff that turned out a bit spotty and some that turned out awsome..doesnt appear at first but like crawler graphics said i think once you put one too many coats or too heavy, i like to warm up rattle cans before useing..seems to atomize better and go light..the spazstix stuff looked better without the black backing for some reason..airbrush is really the way to go if you can, i use alclad when using the airbrush and iys pretty easy to work with, i do very light coats at about 15-20 psi with the brush about 12" from what im painting

Last edited:
Put the can in hot running water from the tap and get it all warm. The warm/hot water makes for a finer spray and a better mix of the crap in the can. I found metallics out of a rattlecan need this and even mixing to avoid strange waves wrinkles spots etc.

I found chrome to need thin coats, even with a airbrush heavy coats result in inconsistent reflection.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.. I'll try warming it up and thinner coats. I have an Air brush, but I hate cleaning it when I'm done...:)

Sounds like fish eyes. That's a sign of not enough surface prep. You've probably got a little mold-release agent still on the body.

Back