• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Painting a portion of Traxxas 1969 Blazer

Jackson233

I have a Traxxas TRX-4 1969 Blazer Body Kit which is the pre painted black K5 body and I am wondering if painting the doors a different color is 'do-able'.

I was thinking that if I masked everything on the exterior out other than the doors which I want white if this would work or would it look terrible and ruin the shell? I thought using the Tamiya PS spray would be my best option but if it's a bad idea I don't want to ruin this new, mint body.

Opinions, guidance and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Very do able.
Scuff, tape off, Use RC paint.
I like Tamiya.

All the black on my jeep is painted on the outside.
I sprayed at a bit of a distance to get a textured look.

zukiiholic-76021-albums4544-66642.jpg

Cool, thanks for your reply.

I was worried about what the transition would be like between my paint on top and the pre painted portion which I assume is on the interior.

Hard to tell from your photo as it's at the angle of the body, but maybe the door frame indentation might help with mine since it's just the door panel that I'm doing.

You can always shoot Tamiya PS-55 matte (or flat) clear over everything (leave your windows and trim masked) to lessen the transition between the colors.

The side effect is that it makes the vehicle look more scale, as it lessens the overly shiny and toy-like appearance.

Scratches are less noticeable as well!

I did my RTR Vaterra Ascender K10 after painting the hood black, and my RTR Traxxas TRX-4 Defender after painting the roof white.

Loved the way they came out.

Thanks durok, scale realism is big in my books, but wouldn't the matte coating make applying decals difficult?

I recommend painting over the decals if they are small and masking off the decals if they are large.

So far it has been easy to remove the matte paint from the surface of the decal (if I wanted to) afterwards just by rubbing the area with a thumbnail.

Back